Portland Parks & Recreation posts information on closures, delays, and cancellation affecting our sites and programs during inclement weather.
Contact us for the most recent information
- For information about community centers, swimming pools, arts centers, and Portland Tennis Center, call 503-823-2533.
- We share the information from this page on our PP&R Twitter and Facebook pages.
- Closures NOT related to weather - Maintenance Periods and Closures
Classes and Activities
PP&R classes, activities, rentals, and sports events may be canceled due to inclement weather, such as ice, snow, or extreme heat. Check with your PP&R facility for the most current information via phone at 503-823-2533 or online at portlandparks.org. Some recreation programs may run as conditions and staff availability allow. Safety is a major factor in determining operations at each PP&R facility. PP&R facilities, our social media outlets, and our website will all feature operating information including opening and closing times.
Parks, Trails, and Natural Areas
- As time permits -- closures, delays, or detours on trails are posted on the Trail Closures and Delays page and also posted to Twitter and Facebook.
- Never walk on frozen ponds or other water features. You never know how thick the ice is or how deep the water is below.
- In cold temperatures, 'black ice' can easily be disguised when left behind by melting snow or rain. People traveling by bike or on foot should use caution and be safe.
Trail Closures and Delays
Portland is home to more than 152 miles of completed regional trails laced together, connecting people to each other and to the natural beauty of our city. All trail closures, delays, or detours on trails are posted on the Trail Closures and Delays page and also posted to Twitter and Facebook.
Report Tree Issues on City Property and Public Streets
If you see a downed tree or large limb (not small branches), call 503-823-TREE (8733). Urban Forestry crews are working on biggest impacts first, as well as mitigating safety issues before clearing debris.
Annual Maintenance Periods and Closures (unrelated to weather)
In order to keep our community centers and other facilities in good condition, each year, Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) conducts annual maintenance reviews and in some cases, closes facilities for a period time to do safety checks, deep cleans, and small updates or fixes.
PP&R is committed to providing safe and dependable facilities. Though we know planned closures (or partial closures) may cause some inconvenience, they allow us to address facility maintenance needs safely and efficiently to minimize impacts during the rest of the year.
Please be prepared for limited or no access to specific facilities during the annual maintenance periods identified below. In some circumstances it may be necessary for PP&R to close part of or an entire facility temporarily while disruptive maintenance occur. Some examples include fumes from paint and cleaning materials, interior upgrades (electrical, mechanical, minor-construction), and work requiring our pools to be drained.
If you have a membership at one of our large community centers, please inquire with the front desk about your options for visiting other centers during your center's closure. If you have additional questions regarding your center's maintenance closure, please contact the center's director.
Types of work PP&R performs during maintenance closures
- Painting and patching
- Door inspection and repair
- High ceiling light bulb replacements
- Fire alarm testing
- Environmental and building material testing inspection (e.g. lead, radon, asbestos)
- Electrical system testing
- Deep cleaning and polishing
- Miscellaneous repairs that could not be done earlier in the year