COVID-19 related information
Learn more about closures and postponements related to the COVID-19 pandemic response.
About Gateway Discovery Park
Gateway Discovery Park is Portland's newest Urban Park. The grand opening on August 4, 2018 was a celebration of our partnership with Prosper Portland, Harper's Playground, and the Gateway Community to bring inclusive play and wonderful gathering areas to one of Portland’s most park-deprived neighborhoods.
Programs and Events
The goal of Gateway Discovery Park is to provide free, equitable, and safe programming in collaboration with the community. A recreation coordinator is assigned to the park and coordinates programs, events, rentals, and festivals in the park and works out of a small office in the park.
Opportunities for Local Artists and Performers
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) is seeking local talent – artists, small bands, performing artists – from the Portland Metro Area (Multnomah, Washington, Clackamas, and Clark Counties) for small, unadvertised, one-hour pop-up performances for summer 2021. Read more on our Opportunities for Local Artists and Performers page.
Urban Parks Rental and Event Manual
Director Park and Gateway Discovery Park are positively activated plazas that have on-site staff during events and rentals to ensure our parks are fun, safe, and welcoming for all!
- The parks are available for public and private rentals and events.
- Our staff are actively involved in the coordination, education, and day of event site management to ensure your event goes smoothly, to familiarize you with the site, and to ensure rental policies and guidelines are followed.
- We will work with you to customize your rental to our unique outdoor spaces and will do event meetings, site walk-through, and provide advice about the space.
Gateway Discovery Park is now available for picnic rentals and more! To reserve a picnic area at Gateway Discovery Park, call 503-823-2525 or click here to make a reservation online.
- Picnic Brochure - City of Portland
- Picnic Rental Application
- Online Picnic Rental Application
- Picnic Rules and Policies
Rental and Event Use Forms and Applications
Rental applications are accepted up to 12 months in advance from load-in date.
Download PDF file Film and Video Rates (898.79 Kb)
Download PDF file Film and Video Application (157.18 Kb)
- Street parking with designated ADA spaces
- Paved pathway to play area
- 50 feet to play area
- Universally accessible unitary play surfacing
- Universally accessible play equipment and play features
- Universally-accessible adaptive swings and spin
- Accessible sand and water play table
- Nature discovery area
- Sensory play elements
- Accessible climbing structure
- Accessible restrooms
- Accessible drinking fountains
- Accessible picnic tables
Size in acres
In 2008, the Portland Development Commission (PDC) and Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) purchased three adjacent properties totaling 4.2 acres. PDC and PP&R currently share joint title of the parcels. Based on community input and previous planning efforts, it was determined that the now vacant site should become a 3.2 acre neighborhood park, and 1 acre of complementary mixed-use development. The park was constructed in part with funding from Prosper Portland (formerly the Portland Development Commission.) Harper's Playground participated in the design process and contributed funding to the Universally accessible play area.