Programs and Events
The goal of Gateway Discovery Park is to provide free, equitable, and safe programming in collaboration with the community. A recreation coordinator is assigned to the park and coordinates programs, events, rentals, and festivals.
- Free Lunch + Play - Mon, June 27 - Fri, August 26 I Lunch from 11:00-12:00pm I Free lunches and lots of play 11:00-3:00pm
- SFFA Concert in the Park - Fri, July 15 I 6:30-8:00pm I Sistahs4Life I Soulful line dancing
- Pa'lante Dance Party - Saturday, July 16 I 5:30-7:30pm I Concert in the plaza including on-site salsa instructors
- People of the Drum - Saturday, July 23 I 4:30-6:30pm
- Original Practice Shakespeare Featuring Twelfe Night I Saturday, July 30 I 6:00-8:30pm
- SFFA Concert in the Park - Thursday, August 4 I 6:30-8:00pm I Los Pinguas I Rock and rumba from Argentina
- Prismagic - Saturday, August 6 I 5:00-6:30pm Join us for a circus and aerialist performance
- Tongan Festival - Saturday, August 20 I Noon - 5:00pm I Join us for the 4th annual Tongan Festival at Gateway Discovery Park, a day of cultural music, food, dancing, and community
- Sunday Parkways - Sunday, August 21
- Son Latino Dance Company - Saturday, August 27 5:00-7:00pm I Bring your dancing shoes and enjoy Salsa performances and lessons followed by an instructor-led community dance.
Gateway Discovery Park Rental and Event Manual
Gateway Discovery Park is a positively-activated plaza that has on-site staff during events and rentals to ensure the park is fun, safe, and welcoming for all!
- Gateway Discovery Park is available for public and private rentals and events.
- Our staff are actively involved in the coordination, education, and day of event site management to ensure your event goes smoothly, to familiarize you with the site, and ensure rental policies and guidelines are followed.
- We will work with you to customize your rental to our unique outdoor spaces and will do event meetings, site walk-through, and provide advice about the space.
Gateway Discovery Park is now available for picnic rentals and more! To reserve a picnic area at Gateway Discovery Park, call 503-823-2525 or click here to make a reservation online.
Rental and Event Use Forms and Applications
Rental applications are accepted up to 12 months in advance of load-in date.
In 2008, the Portland Development Commission (PDC) and Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) purchased three adjacent properties totaling 4.2 acres. PDC and PP&R currently share joint title of the parcels. Based on community input and previous planning efforts, it was determined that the now vacant site should become a 3.2 acre neighborhood park, and 1 acre of complementary mixed-use development. The park was constructed in part with funding from Prosper Portland (formerly the Portland Development Commission.) Harper's Playground participated in the design process and contributed funding to the Universally accessible play area.
- Street parking with designated ADA spaces
- Paved pathway to play area
- 50 feet to play area
- Universally accessible unitary play surfacing
- Universally accessible play equipment and play features
- Universally-accessible adaptive swings and spin
- Accessible sand and water play table
- Nature discovery area
- Sensory play elements
- Accessible climbing structure
- Accessible restrooms
- Accessible drinking fountains
- Accessible picnic tables
- Picnic site
- Wedding site