Portland Parks Board volunteer applications are now open
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) cares for and maintains more than 11,000 acres of lands and offers thousands of programs for all ages at its community centers, swimming pools, and other recreation facilities. It is a premier City of Portland Bureau that depends on a workforce of 627 permanent employees, 2,948 part-time and seasonal employees, and over 6,000 volunteers. The Portland Parks Board provides support, advocacy and guidance for the overall parks system.
The Portland Parks Board advocates for parks on a city and regional basis to ensure that parks, natural areas, open spaces, and recreation facilities are advanced in planning and design. The Parks Board provides a forum for public discussion and decision-making about park issues, bringing a citywide and long-term perspective to neighborhood-based issues.
Committee activities include:
- Advise the Council, the Commissioner and the Director on policy matters pertaining to PP&R. The Board does not have decision making authority.
- Uphold and incorporate diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives into Board and City work
- Participate in the preparation and contents of the PP&R annual budget
- Review and advocate on plans and policies, either existing or being developed, city- or region- wide, that affect parks and recreation in the City of Portland
- Attend PP&R events and celebrations
- Prepare and submit an annual report to the City Council which summarizes the Board’s activities during the year and identifies the major issues facing PP&R along with the Board’s recommendations for addressing them in the coming year
Applications are due by 11:59pm on Sunday, May 1, 2022. To talk with someone about this opportunity or to receive assistance completing the application, please contact the advisory body staff liaison at email@example.com or 971-865-1878.