Join PP&R, Friends of Terwilliger, and Hands on Greater Portland for a morning of invasive plant removal in George Himes Park. Volunteers are encouraged to bring their own tools (loppers/pruners), gloves, and face coverings. Please dress for the weather, wear sturdy shoes, and bring your own personal water bottle, and snacks. Tools, gloves, face coverings and project instruction will be provided. Face coverings are required throughout the event. Volunteers will be removing ivy and will be working off trail on uneven ground and slopes.
Registration is required. The meeting location will be emailed to you once you are registered.
Thank you for your interest in volunteering to keep Portland's natural area parks healthy, beautiful, and safe for people and wildlife! Here are a few tips to get you ready for your stewardship event.
- Registration is required for all stewardship events.
- Complete a health screening (brief online survey) before attending each event at portland.gov/health-assessment.
- Please volunteer close to home or in your community.
- Stay home if you are experiencing symptoms of any contagious illness or have had recent contact with someone exhibiting symptoms of any illness.
- Bring a face covering to be worn at the event and maintain at least 6 feet physical distance from others. PP&R will provide face coverings for anyone who doesn’t have their own.
- Volunteers are encouraged to bring their own gloves, water, and snacks. PP&R will provide tools and gloves for anyone who does not have their own, and training for the day's activity.
- In order to ensure your comfort and safety, please remember to dress for the weather, wear close-toed shoes, bring a water bottle, and be ready to get dirty!
- Unless otherwise noted, all events are family-friendly and all ages are welcome to participate. However, children must be accompanied and supervised by an adult for the duration of the event. We encourage you to attend events with members of your household/family!
- While groups are welcome to join many of our regularly scheduled stewardship events, please contact the event coordinator listed in the description before arriving with a large group. This will ensure that there are enough gloves and tools for everyone to work. We are also available to schedule special service events at your group's convenience during the week or on weekends. Learn more about programs for groups.