Eligibility for Employment - Youth Positions
- You are between the ages of 14-18.
- Turn in your own application and contact the employer yourself. A parent or guardian should not do it for you. This is one way we determine if you are ready for work!
- Be willing and able to do hard work in the outdoors (often walking on uneven ground, in heat, cold, or rain).
- Be dependable, responsible, and available - you can and will show up to work every day, on time.
- Be excited to work with a diverse team. We encourage people of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities to apply, as well as English Language Learners. Reasonable accommodations can be provided.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Be able to get to work sites on your own. All worksites have a bus or TriMet MAX stop nearby.
- Summer 2022: June 28 through August 12; Tuesday through Friday; 8:30am to 2:30pm.
- All youth hired during the summer can keep working on Saturdays during the school year. Sign up for workdays as your schedule allows.
The hourly pay for NEW youth 2022 is $14.75 an hour
Types of Crew Work
City Nature East Crew
Natural Area Crew is a great fit for teens interested in science, plants, and animals.
WORK LOCATIONS: East, Northeast, and Southeast Portland
- removing introduced invasively growing plants like ivy and blackberry
- weeding and watering around young recently planted plants
- practicing and learning plant identification
- learning about plants and animals
- building split rail fences
Community Gardens Crew
Community Gardens Crew is a great fit for teens who are interested in growing food, gardening, construction, and food justice.
- building and fixing garden plots and paths
- exploring food and environmental justice
- practicing indigenous land care in the Native Gathering Garden with the indigenous community
- weeding and removing unwanted plants
Trail Crew is a great fit for teens interested in engineering, construction, and hard physical work! WORK LOCATIONS: citywide
- Building and fixing trails
- Building structures (rock walls, crib walls, split rail fences, and other structures)
- Some work with plants
- Learning about land, soils, and water
- Can be physically demanding
Tree Crew is a great fit for teens who care about trees and want to learn about how trees make our city healthier and more beautiful.
WORK LOCATIONS: East Portland and NE Portland
- explore the city and map trees on an ipad or phone
- care for newly planted trees at schools and parks
- learn how to identify trees from all over the world
West Side Nature Crew - No Ivy League
The No Ivy League Crew is a great fit for teens interested in landscaping, science, plants, and animals.
WORK LOCATIONS: Northwest and Southwest
- removing plants like ivy and invasive blackberry- focusing on saving trees from ivy
- learning plant identification
- caring for young plants
- research about plants and animals
- building and repairing split rail fences
Application for 2022 will be online soon!
Check this webpage for updates.
Adult Crew Leader positions
If you are thinking about applying for a YCC Crew Leader Position, visit theCrew Leader Information Webpage.