We are currently scheduling programs on a case by case basis, working with small groups outdoors up to fifteen participants at at time (ages 2-7) or twenty participants at a time (ages 8+). All participants must be able to follow our current guidelines for groups: Maintain 6' of distance at all times, correctly wear a face covering (ages 3+), sign a COVID-19 waiver, and have names, emails, and phone numbers for all in attendance to comply with contact tracing rules. If you have questions about scheduling a program for your group, please call 503-823-1149 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to limited staff capacity, we are unable to do weekend programs or any Nature Birthday parties at this time.
Explore with City Nature's field trip and group program
We offer different types of programs for different ages. Younger children are in nature for a shorter period of time, and the content is exploration-centered and play-based. Older youth learn about nature through inquiry and guided exploration, and they spend a longer amount of time with us. Birthday parties are simply fun - they might contain games, crafts, and exploration that help teach about a theme.
If none of the options feels right, let's work together to design something that DOES feel right. We are here to support your needs. Our staff has a diverse background in nature education and can work with all ages.
If you need more information about the various programs we offer, see the links below.
- School field trips for grades K-8
- Ladybug nature walks for preschoolers
- Ladybug walk birthday parties for preschoolers
- Nature-themed birthday parties for youth age 5-9
- Customized group programs (please contact us directly and we will work with you - email email@example.com or call 503-823-1149)
Program changes during the COVID-19 pandemic
Ladybug Walks have some new guidelines to comply with COVID-19 protocols. If you are interested in participating, please read details carefully.
There are fifteen (15) participant spots available for each walk (this number does not include the adults attending).
All children and adults will need to be able to follow these guidelines to participate in a walk:
- Registration is required. All children and adults must provide their name, parent email, and phone number to sign up for the walk. This work will is done by the organization or preschool scheduling the program and passed on to our office at least 3 days before the walk.
- Group sizes are limited. We travel in small groups of five children (ages 2-7) or seven children (ages 8+). Currently we can work with up to fifteen participants ages 2-7 or twenty participants (ages 8+) at a time. These numbers do not include any adults attending.
- Physical distancing is required. Everyone must stay 6' feet apart from people not living in the same household.
- Face coverings are required for everyone age three and older (3+). If anyone ages 3+ arrives without a face covering, one will be provided.
- Signed liability waiver is required. A COVID-19 waiver must be completed for every participant prior to the day of the program. (A waiver signed for a child also covers the parent who signs the waiver.)
- You will be screened for symptoms when you arrive. Our staff will be screening everyone arriving for COVID-like symptoms on the day of the walk. Participants are who are having symptoms of COVID-19 on the day of the program should not participate. Our staff will email everyone who is signed up the day before the walk with important reminders for the walk.
- Participants will wash hands or sanitize hands as they arrive for a program and before they leave. Tools are sanitized between programs and sharing is kept to a minimum. We will have hand washing stations and hand sanitizer available for use.
back to top
Follow these steps to schedule a program.
Applications should be received at least 30 days before the requested date.
- If choosing a field trip, browse the Field Trip Options list for your grade level. If choosing a group Ladybug walk, think about your group sizes (see this page for more information). For nature birthday parties, decide on the best option and theme for your child.
- Check our "Availability Times and Dates" calendar to find out how many naturalists are available to teach the days you are interested in.
- Decide where you would like to have the field trip, walk, or birthday party. (Check our "Common sites for field trips" and "Common sites for Ladybug Walks" pages for ideas - we can also help you choose one.)
- When you are ready to apply for a field trip program, fill out the online Program Application.
- After submitting your application, if you have questions call our office at 503-823-3601 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications will be processed in the order they are received.
- Once we have your application we will work to iron out the details and schedule your naturalists. When all details are complete, we will send you a formal service agreement.
- To secure your dates: read, sign, and return the service agreement accompanied by a $50 partial payment per day of programming within two (2) weeks. (Full payment is welcome if that is easier.) If we have not heard from you within two weeks, we will contact you once with a gentle reminder we have not received anything from you. After 21 days without payment, your dates will be released.
back to top
Securing your program dates
- Fill out the program application.
- We will reach out to clarify dates, times, topic, and locations.
- When details are finalized, we will email an official Service Agreement.
- Once received, you have two weeks to send your partial payment ($50 per day of programming).
- When we receive your payment, your dates are secured.*
*If we do not receive your payment within two weeks, we may release your dates to another group.
back to top
We accept cash, checks, and credit card payments.
- Credit card payments can be made by calling 503-823-3601. (During the COVID-19 pandemic, plan to call this number for instructions on how to make your payment through the Customer Service Center.)
- Make checks out to "Portland Parks & Recreation” and mail to our office:
Attn: Field Trip
City Nature - Environmental Education
2909 SW 2nd Avenue
Portland OR 97201
- Drop off cash payments to the mail slot at 2909 SW 2nd Avenue in Portland, Oregon, 97201. If you have chosen this method, please call 503-823-1149 to let us know there is a cash payment at the building. We will retrieve it as soon as we can for processing.
back to top