We are currently scheduling programs on a case by case basis, working with small groups outdoors (up to fifteen children ages 2-6 and their adults). All participants must be able to follow our current guidelines for groups: Maintain 6' of distance at all times, correctly wear a face covering (ages 3+), sign a COVID-19 waiver, and have names, emails, and phone numbers for all in attendance to comply with contact tracing rules. For information about scheduling a program for your group, please call 503-823-1149 or email email@example.com.
Customized group Ladybug Walks
Custom walks are a great option for preschool classes or groups of families with young children.
Walks are great for preschool or kindergarten classes, day care groups, play groups, and birthday parties! Walks are 90 min long, geared for children ages 2-6, and can take place at most Portland parks or natural areas. We’ll work with you to choose one that makes sense!
Ladybug Nature Walks are a way for children ages 2-6 (and their parents, caregivers, or teachers) to explore a local Portland park. Nature educators guide children to notice plants and animals. Walks are child-directed and open-ended. Nature educators walk with the children in small groups. Children learn through questions, observation, and play. Groups move slowly through the park, stopping often. In this way, children have time to notice the plants and animals around them. If we have extra time we might also read a story, sing a song, or use puppets for imaginative play.
Walks last 90 minutes. Content is geared for children ages 2-6. (Children under 2 also welcome at no charge. Please keep older siblings at home.)
While exploring with a nature educator, children borrow a small Ladybug backpack containing a few tools that are easy to clean:
- Magnifying lens
- Small plastic tub with a lid
- Metal Spoon
- Laminated color wheel for matching
- Plastic Bug box
- Plastic paintbrush
- Small toy insect for imaginative play
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-823-1149.
We offer weekly walks for the general public, but we ask that preschool groups, classrooms, and organizations with more than three children schedule a customized group Ladybug Walk. Find information about customized group Ladybug Walks here.
Program changes during the COVID-19 pandemic
Ladybug Walks have some new guidelines to comply with COVID-19 protocols. If you are interested in participating, please read details carefully.
There are fifteen (15) participant spots available for each walk (this number does not include the adults attending).
All children and adults will need to be able to follow these guidelines to participate in a walk:
- Registration is required. All children and adults must provide their name, parent email, and phone number to sign up for the walk. This work will is done by the organization or preschool scheduling the walk and passed on to our office at least 3 days before the walk.
- Group sizes are limited. We travel in small groups of up to five children (households) per group. Currently we can work with up to fifteen preschool children at a time.
- Physical distancing is required. Everyone must stay 6' feet apart from people not living in the same household.
- Face coverings are required for everyone age three and older (3+). If your 3-6 year old is not yet able to wear a mask, start practicing now so they are ready. If anyone ages 3+ arrives without a face covering, one will be provided.
- Signed liability waiver is required. A COVID-19 waiver must be completed for every participant prior to the day of the program. (A waiver signed for a child also covers the parent who signs the waiver.)
- You will be screened for symptoms when you arrive. Our staff will be screening everyone arriving for COVID-like symptoms on the day of the walk. Participants are who are having symptoms of COVID-19 on the day of the program should not participate. Our staff will email everyone who is signed up the day before the walk with important reminders for the walk.
- Children and adults will wash hands or sanitize hands before receiving and after handing in the backpacks. Tools are sanitized between walks and sharing is kept to a minimum. We will have hand washing stations and hand sanitizer available for use.
Group sizes and pricing during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Available October 1 through May 31 each year. (Sorry - due to our busy summer program, we do not schedule group walks in June, July, or August)
- Maximum group size during COVID-19 pandemic = 12 children, not including adults
- Cost for Ladybug Walks during the COVID-19 pandemic
- up to 4 children plus adults = $30
- 5-8 children plus adults = $55
- 9-12 children plus adults = $80
- COVID pricing: Due to physical distancing requirements, the cost per child varies depending on the size of the group. Our three preschool educators can only work with 3-4 children at a time.