Before scheduling a program
Before filling out a program application, please make sure you have reviewed each of the topics below. Each application will require you to list details about your desired program. Use the back button on your computer to return to this page, or follow the "related" pages to make your way back to the "How to Schedule a Program" page.
General information about group nature programs
Our teaching approach
Types of programs we offer
COVID-19 Updates for participation
Cost for programs
Minimum and maximum group sizes
Available dates and times
Field trip options (for K-5 students)
Common locations for programs
Links to online program applications
Please give us as much time as possible to schedule and plan your program.
The application will take 10-20 minutes to fill out. To complete the application, you will need the contact information for your school or organization, a primary contact, and alternate contact. You will also need to answer questions about your desired type of program, your group size and age/grade level, and any accommodations required to have a successful program.
Follow the link below to submit your program application.
Program application for Field Trips, Ladybug Walks, and Custom Programs
What happens after I submit my application?
After submitting your application, you should receive a confirmation email that your application was submitted. You should hear from one of our staff within 2-3 business days. If you have not heard from us, please call our office at 503-823-3601 or email us at email@example.com.
- Applications will be processed in the order they are received.
- If we have questions or need more information about your request, we will contact you directly.
- When all details are complete, we will send you a formal service agreement.
Securing your program dates
- Fill out the program application.
- You should receive a confirmation email that your application has been submitted.
- We will reach out to clarify the date, time, content, and location.
- When details are finalized, we will email a service agreement for the program.
- Once the service agreement is sent, you have two weeks to submit your $50 partial payment (or full payment if the total cost is less than $50).
- When we receive your payment, your dates are secured.*
*We will send reminders after two weeks if we have not received payment. After three weeks of non-payment, we will release your dates so they are available to another group.
We accept cash, checks, and credit card payments.
- To pay by credit card: Please call 503-823-3601
- To pay by check: Make check out to "Portland Parks & Recreation” and mail to our office at the following address: Attn: Field Trip, City Nature - Environmental Education, 2909 SW 2nd Avenue, Portland OR 97201
- To pay by cash: Drop off cash payments to the mail slot at 2909 SW 2nd Avenue in Portland, Oregon, 97201. (Our building is closed to the public due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.) If you drop off cash, please call/text 503-823-1149 so we can retrieve it as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
What days are available for field trips?
Please check our availability calendar to see which days are available. The calendar gives information about maximum group sizes on available dates.
What if I have a small group?
Our minimum group size is six participants for ages 2-5 and eight participants for ages 6+. We can accommodate groups smaller than 6-8 participants, but you will be charged the minimum rate.
What if we want to have the educators visit our classroom before the field trip?
Each field trip is designed to be a stand-alone experience. That said, we can always add or introduce content to participants before an outdoor experience. Some participants benefit from having an educator visit beforehand to introduce content that will be explored on the actual field trip. Classroom instruction takes place 1-2 weeks before the outdoor field trip and costs $25 per hour.
What do field trips cost?
Most groups pay $5/participant for nature-based field trips. Title I or federally-funded schools pay less, and we also have an option where schools can pay an extra $2 to help another school in need of funds. Find the complete cost information at
We are a Title 1 School. Do you offer a discount?
Yes. Schools that receive federal funding can attend for $1/participant.
What if I cannot pay the full fee but still want to participate?
Schools, groups, and organizations who cannot pay the full fee can download and fill out the “Fee Reduction Request” form during the application process. Even if you need to lower the cost, we would still like to work with your school or group.
What field trips do you offer and for what grades do you offer them?
The field trips listed above are best for students in K-8th grade. Each field trip is designed to be two hours long. We use methods like observation, inquiry, journaling, games, guided movement, art, stories, songs, and exploration to connect participants to the “Big picture ideas” for each topic. Each lesson is designed with social-emotional learning, reflection, physical activity, and hands-on nature exploration in mind.
If you need more help...
Please call/text or email the program coordinator at 503-477-1823 or EnviroEd@portlandoregon.gov.