Ladybug Walk at Sellwood Park and Riverfront - 11:00 am
Ladybug Nature Walks are a way for children ages 0-6 (and an adult) to explore a local Portland park. Walks are child-directed and open-ended. Children learn through questions, observation, and play. Nature educators walk with the families in small groups that move slowly through the park. We stop often, allowing children time to notice the plants and animals around them.
Walks last one hour. Content is geared for children ages 1-6. (Infants under 1 year are welcome if they are carried in a sling or ergo-style pack. Please keep older siblings at home.)
While exploring with a nature educator, children borrow a small Ladybug backpack containing a few simple tools.
Registration is required (children and adults). Please review changes below before registering.
Program changes during the COVID-19 pandemic
Ladybug Walks have some new guidelines to comply with COVID-19 protocols. If you are interested in participating, please read details carefully.
We will be offering two walks each day of programming (except during the last two weeks when the weather is much colder). Please make sure you are registering for the correct walk.
- Walk 1 - 9:30-10:30am
- Walk 2 - 11:00am-Noon
There are only 24 spots available for each walk (this number includes children and adults).
All children and adults will need to be able to follow these guidelines to participate in a walk:
- This is no longer a drop-in program. Pre-registration is required for all participants, including the adult attending with the child(ren).
- Group sizes are limited.
- Only children ages 0-6 can participate
- Only one adult per child can attend
- Physical distancing is required. Everyone must stay 6' feet apart from people not living in the same household.
- Face coverings are required for everyone age three and older (3+). If your 3-6 year old is not yet able to wear a mask, start practicing now so they are ready.
- Signed liability waiver is required. A COVID-19 waiver must be completed for everyone during the registration process.
- You will be screened for symptoms when you arrive. Our staff will be screening everyone arriving for COVID-like symptoms on the day of the walk. If you are sick, please withdraw from the program to keep others safe. You will receive a full refund as long as you withdraw before the start time of your walk. Withdraw online or contact 503-823-1149 .
- No sharing of supplies or equipment. We will still be providing ladybug backpacks and sanitized tools for each child, but ask that children only touch their own equipment. All supplies are sanitized after each walk and all backpacks rest for 72 hours before being used again.
- Follow general sanitation guidelines. Please have all participants wash or sanitize hands when they arrive, after using the bathroom, and at the end of the walk. Cover your coughs and sneezes. Stay home if you are ill.