COVID-19 related information
Learn more about closures and postponements related to the COVID-19 pandemic response.
About Director Park
Located in the heart of downtown Portland at 815 SW Park Avenue, our mission is to be a public piazza that provides an elegant, clean, safe, and versatile space that provides rentals to positively activate the park and complement downtown.
My grandparents, Simon and Helen Director, were part of a generation of immigrants whose hard work helped build this city. Simon Director (1891-1981) was born in the small Russian village of Chartoriysk. He arrived in Portland in 1910 and began work as a butcher. Helen Holtzman (1900-1976) was born in Warsaw, Poland. She arrived in Portland in 1915 and that same year met and married my grandfather. They had three daughters, June, Ruth, and Arlene. Simon and Helen Director served their community with distinction, paving the way for their children and grandchildren and for generations to come. This park honors their memory and that of their generation in the hope that those who follow will continue their efforts to make Portland the wonderful city that we call home. ~ Jordan Director Schnitzer
Urban Parks Rental and Event Manual
Director Park and Gateway Discovery Park are positively activated plazas that have on-site staff during events and rentals to ensure our parks are fun, safe, and welcoming for all!
- The parks are available for public and private rentals and events.
- Our staff are actively involved in the coordination, education, and day of event site management to ensure your event goes smoothly, to familiarize you with the site, and to ensure rental policies and guidelines are followed.
- We will work with you to customize your rental to our unique outdoor spaces and will do event meetings, site walk-through, and provide advice about the space.
Rental and Event Use Forms and Applications
Rental applications are accepted up to 12 months in advance from load-in date.
Event Permit Requirements
Additional permit requirements are determined by your application and subsequent discussions and these fees are not included in the rental rates for your event. Permits may include amplified sound noise, fire bureau occupancy, OLCC, and/or health department.
Additional services required may include security, alcohol monitors, electricity, portable restrooms, grey water disposal, garbage/recycling, after-site cleaning, and full park event fencing.
- Insurance Requirements and Form - All permitted events require a Certificate of Insurance and Additional Insured Endorsement to meet the City's rules and can be purchased from a variety of sources. Many home-owner's policies offer coverage for an event or a special rider can be purchased to cover the event.
- TULIP Insurance Program - The City of Portland offers "Tennant and Users Liability Insurance Policy" (TULIP) as an option for insurance if your event qualifies.
- Fire Bureau / Assembly Permits - Permittee may be required to contact the Fire Marshal and obtain their sign off and/or required permits. Contact them online or at 503-823-3955.
Health Department - Any time food items that are prepared and/or served to the public on Park property, a sign off and/or permit is required from the Multnomah County Environmental Health Services. Contact them online to obtain a signature or at 503-988-3400.
- Noise Permits - When amplified music, public address systems or drums are used, a noise permit from the City's Noise Control Office or a sign-off may be required. Contact them to apply for a noise permit or obtain a sign-off at 503-823-7350
- Oregon Liquor Control Commission Permits - A permit is required when alcohol is sold or served at an event. Contact them online or call 503-872-5070.
- Police Review: Permittee is required to contact the Special Events Sergeant in charge and obtain a signature on the Event Permit Requirement Checklist provided to you after you apply for a park permit. Please contact them at email@example.com.
- Event Recycling Services - The City's Event Recycling Services provides free recycling equipment and assistance for Portland Events. This role is advisory only and does not provide pick up services or staff for your event. Equipment is the property of the City's Event Recycling Program, and must be returned after the event. Visit the Event Recycling Services website or call 503-725-5147.
- Parking Space Rental - To reserve a parking space or a loading zone adjacent to one of the parks, complete the Portland Bureau of Transportation Parking Space Rental online form.