Located just minutes from downtown Portland, Pittock’s beautiful natural setting, incredible overlook, historic Pittock Mansion, and the proximity to Forest Park make it a natural destination for hundreds of thousands visitors each year.
Improving access for this Portland icon
Longstanding issues continue- Pittock Acres Park is one of the most iconic and recognizable destinations in Portland. Located just minutes from downtown Portland, Pittock’s beautiful natural setting, incredible overlook, historic Pittock Mansion, and the proximity to Forest Park make it a natural destination for hundreds of thousands visitors each year. In fact, attendance to Pittock Mansion has doubled since 2009.
As visitation continues to increase, Pittock Acres suffers from parking issues inside the park and on adjacent neighborhood streets. Traffic congestion, crumbling road infrastructure, and insufficient safe pedestrian access creates an unwelcoming environment for visitors and neighbors.
Charting a course for the future
Portland Parks & Recreation and the Pittock Mansion Society recognize that the current trajectory in the park is not sustainable. A new approach is needed. We need to provide sustainable investment into the park that addresses congestion, security, and maintenance, while improving the overall park experience.
Through January, PP&R and the Pittock Mansion Society are looking at options to address parking, congestion, and security in the park.
One option being explored is the proven model in Washington Park, where paid parking has provided a dedicated revenue source to addressing park issues. As we've seen in Washington Park and Willamette Park, a paid parking program can help with:
- Dedicating funding to improving road infrastructure and increasing pedestrian safety. Pittock Acres Park has a backlog of nearly 14 capital improvement projects for repair and maintenance of assets, worth $3.6 million. This does not include work on the historic buildings themselves.
- Adding seasonal maintenance staff during peak times to improve daily clean and care of the park. As general funds continue to be cut to PP&R but visitation increases, we want ensure a consistent level of service for this important destination.
- Providing dedicated parking enforcement to prevent vehicles parking improperly, creating risks for first responders and impacts to neighbors and visitors.
- Dedicating Park Rangers in the park to enforce Park Rules and reduce after-hours nuisance activity. Ranger patrols have averaged about 40 minutes per week since 2016, significantly less than necessary to provide a consistent level of service to enforce park and parking rules.
Where are we in this process?
Portland Parks & Recreation and the Pittock Mansion Society look forward to initiating a series of important changes to Pittock Acres Park to address maintenance, security, and congestion issues. We're currently exploring a model that includes paid parking to address park issues and perform park improvements.
The Pittock Acres Park Parking Action Plan was developed winter 2019, and presented to stakeholders and the neighborhood early January 2020. Implementation of the plan is scheduled for July 2020.
- Open public comment period - Thank you for your feedback!
- Neighborhood information session at Pittock Mansion - Thanks for attending!
- Draft plan released - PDF available above
- Open public comment period on the plan - Thank you for your feedback! Comments on the plan are now closed.
- Open house on Pittock Acres security issues - Thanks for attending!
- Implement paid parking program
Parking rates & hours
- Paid Hours: Daily 9:30am to 8pm, including holidays.
- Rate: $2 per hour; $8 daily maximum.
- For parking information or refund requests, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Refunds are only provided in the case of overcharging or meter errors.
100% of parking revenue stays in Pittock Acres Park to fund improvements identified in the Pittock Acres Park Parking Action Plan.
Let us know your thoughts
- How do you access Pittock?
- What are the barriers to access at Pittock for you?
- What are your top maintenance, security, and access concerns at Pittock?