Thanks to funding from the Parks Replacement Bond and System Development Charges, Gabriel Park's playground was replaced with a new, more inclusive and accessible play area. The playground is located at SW 37th Avenue and Vermont Street.
Through a project advisory committee and open house events, the community helped guide the development of the design for an inclusive playground.
May 14, 2022
The playground is now open to the public. Enjoy!
Please join Parks Commissioner Carmen Rubio and Director Adena Long at the Gabriel Park Play Date on Saturday, May 14, 2022, 10:30am - 12:30pm.
- Join the party to celebrate your new playground
- Free cake and activities
Día del juego en Gabriel Park - Sábado, 14 de mayo, 10:30am - 12:30pm:
- Únase a la fiesta para celebrar su nueva área de juego
- Habrá pastel y actividades gratuitas
Construction is still underway, with expected completion later this spring. Continued winter weather conditions and supply chain issues and staffing challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic could have impacts on the project completion date, but we currently expect to open to the community by early May 2022. We will update once we have more certainty. Thanks for your patience. We are excited to see the community experience this new inclusive playground and to better serve all Portlanders!
Construction will begin the week of March 22, 2021, with expected completion in Spring 2022. The entire playground will be closed during construction, as well as adjacent pathways and the restroom. Temporary portable toilets will be provided. Thanks for your patience while we build your new, inclusive playground!
The new Gabriel Park play area will feature:
- Accessible routes to all play equipment
- An inclusive spinner that allows users to wheel or walk on, promoting collaborative play
- Swings for people of all abilities and ages
- Brightly colored smooth rubber safety surfacing throughout the play area
- Interactive sensory panels that provide a range of texture, sight, and auditory engagement for all users
- Two accessible slides for all users; one low, wide slide that can accommodate individuals or an individual and a caregiver side-by-side, and one tall tube slide with transfer platforms at the top and bottom for mobility device users
- Small rubber mounds to assist in scrambling up the hillside
- An in-ground trampoline
- A climbing wall and inclusive climbing dome to encourage creative play and social interaction
- Interactive music elements and water play features for sensory play and social interaction
- A perimeter fence for safety
- Seating areas and quiet spots to take a break
- Accessible picnic area with drinking fountain and bike racks for gatherings
- Accessible pathways from the parking lot, SW Vermont Street, and from the TriMet bus stop at SW 37th Avenue
- Parking, curb ramp, street connections, and restroom accessibility improvements
- 50 new trees
Thanks to everyone who participated in the Gabriel Park Inclusive Playground design process!
View Open House #3 presentation boards:
- Part I: Previous Options, Preferred Design, Surfacing Options (pdf)
- Part II: Aerial Views, Play Feature Options (pdf)
- Open House #3 Comment Form Summary (pdf)
City of Portland Commissioner Amanda Fritz and Portland Parks & Recreation announced on June 11, 2018 that Gabriel Park will be the site of the next inclusive playground in the PP&R system. The new playground will become a “destination” site, with a footprint of about 10,000 square feet, up from 3,250 square feet. Inclusive playgrounds provide a rich play experience, addressing physical, sensory, and social needs of all children and their caregivers, and are designed with universal accessibility in mind, accommodating everyone and challenging them at their own developmental level. The project is anticipated to include the new inclusive playground as well as pathway and parking improvements.
Project Advisory Committee Members
Linda Akagi, Amina Ali, AngeLeah Andersen, Annika Abel, Renee Becerra, Sarah Bedrick, Evelyn Cannon, Fatma Hajimohamed, Chris Hathaway, Tilda Hathaway, Ryan Jacobson, Myrlaviani Perez-Rivier, Samuel Sennott.
Project Timeline and Comment Form Summaries
Spring 2019 - Summer 2019: Schematic Design and Public Involvement
- PAC Meeting #1 - March 20, 2019
- PAC Meeting #2 - April 4, 2019
- Open House #1 - April 10, 2019Download PDF file
- PAC Meeting #3 - May 14, 2019
- Open House #2 - May 22, 2019
- Open House #2 - May 22, 2019 - Shared 3 designs (pdf)
- PAC Meeting #4 - June 19, 2019
- Open House #3 - July 9, 2019
- PAC Meeting #5 - August 22, 2019
Fall 2019 - Fall/Winter 2021: Design Development, Permit/Bidding, and Construction
- Fall 2019 - Winter 2020: Design Development
- Winter 2020 - Spring 2020: Construction Documents
- Spring 2020 - Summer 2020: Permitting
- Fall 2020 - Winter 2020/21: Bidding
- Spring 2021 - Winter 2021/22: Construction
- May 14, 2022 - Opening Event