This new, more inclusive and accessible play area and playground will be located at SW 37th Avenue and SW Vermont Street.
Thanks to funding from the Parks Replacement Bond and System Development Charges, Gabriel Park's playground will be replaced with a new, more inclusive and accessible play area. The playground is located at SW 37th Avenue and SW Vermont Street.
Through a Project Advisory Committee and Open House events, the community will help guide the development of the design for an inclusive playground.
Project Update - August 2019
Thanks to everyone who participated in the Gabriel Park Inclusive Playground design process!
View Open House #3 presentation boards:
- Part I: Previous Options, Preferred Design, Surfacing Options (pdf)
- Part II: Aerial Views, Play Feature Options (pdf)
- Open House #3 Comment Form Summary (pdf)
Project Update - June 2018
City of Portland Commissioner Amanda Fritz and Portland Parks & Recreation announced on June 11, 2018 that Gabriel Park will be the site of the next inclusive playground in the PP&R system. The new playground will become a “destination” site, with a footprint of 10,000 square feet, up from 3,250 square feet. Inclusive playgrounds provide a rich play experience, addressing physical, sensory, and social needs of all children and their caregivers, and are designed with universal accessibility in mind, accommodating everyone and challenging them at their own developmental level.
The project is anticipated to include the new inclusive playground as well as pathway and parking improvements. PP&R expects the play area to be completed in late 2020, after a public involvement process for the design starting in Spring 2019 —including robust outreach to community members who are experiencing disabilities.
Project Advisory Committee Members
Linda Akagi, Amina Ali, AngeLeah Andersen, Annika Abel, Renee Becerra, Sarah Bedrick, Evelyn Cannon, Fatma Hajimohamed, Chris Hathaway, Tilda Hathaway, Ryan Jacobson, Myrlaviani Perez-Rivier, Samuel Sennott.
Project Timeline and Comment Form Summaries
Spring 2019 - Summer 2019: Schematic Design and Public Involvement
- PAC Meeting #1 - March 20, 2019
- PAC Meeting #2 - April 4, 2019
- Open House #1 - Wednesday, April 10, 2019 (pdf)
- PAC Meeting #3 - May 14, 2019
- Open House #2 - May 22, 2019 - Shared 3 designs (pdf)
- PAC Meeting #4 - June 19, 2019
- Open House #3 - July 9, 2019 - Share draft of final design (pdf)
- PAC Meeting #5 - August 22, 2019
Fall 2019 - Spring 2021: Design Development, Permit/Bidding, and Construction
- Fall 2019 - Winter 2020: Design Development
- Winter 2020 - Spring 2020: Construction Documents
- Spring 2020 - Summer 2020: Permitting and Bidding
- Fall 2020 - Spring 2021: Construction