2024 Program Partners
Free Lunch + Play is eager to collaborate with local organizations that lead engaging, hands-on activities for youth and families at various park sites across the city. Our Program Partner focus areas for summer 2024 are Arts and Culture, Literacy, Nutrition, and Recreation.
Interested in becoming a Free Lunch + Play Program Partner for summer 2024? Please read below for more information:
- Program Partners must align with the City of Portland's core values of Anti-Racism and Equity and share in our mission of providing inclusive programming that celebrates and reflects the diversity of Portland.
- All activities must be interactive, play-based, and inclusive of diverse ages, abilities, and languages. Free Lunch + Play guests should be able to be active participants in the activities being offered and not simply passive bystanders (e.g., the distribution of flyers as the sole activity is not allowed).
- Program Partner activities take place at outdoor parks in N, NE, East, and SW Portland in all weather and typically occur for 45-60 minutes while free lunches are being served.
- All Program Partner activities are considered “drop-in” and must be able to serve a wide range of visitors, from a handful of children to 100 youth and families. Program attendance can vary due to park location, weather, day of the week, time of day, etc.
- Program Partners offer their time, supplies, and programming free of charge as an in-kind donation.
- Program Partners must be self-sustainable in terms of staffing, supplies, set-up, and clean-up.
- Free Lunch + Play sites are located in neighborhoods that have 50% or more students that qualify for free and reduced lunch. To ensure the equitable distribution of programs at all sites, we may ask for flexibility with your placement throughout the city.
- Free Lunch + Play strives to be equitable and book as many talented Program Partners as possible. However, please know that we receive more submissions each year than available opportunities.
How to apply:
- Program Partner Applications are due Friday, April 12, 2024. This digital form takes approximately ten minutes to complete.
- If selected to participate, a tentative schedule will be sent to your organization by Friday,June 1, 2024.
- For questions or assistance, please contact Jeremiah Sazdanoff, Free Lunch + Play Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 964-1240.
2023 Free Lunch + Play Program
The 2023 Summer Free For All Free Lunch + Play program has ended. Portlanders played for days at our 24 Free Lunch + Play sites and five mobile sites across the City of Portland! We served over 50,000 meals to youth, employed over 90 staff, worked with four school district nutrition programs, and worked with over 20 program partners. Thanks for making it a fun, playful and memorable summer for all! For a recap, check out our SFFA 2023 program report.
Click on the video below to get a taste of summer 2023 Free Lunch + Play!
2023 Nutrition Programs
We'd like to thank our nutrition services partners including Portland Public Schools, Centennial School District, David Douglas School District, and Parkrose School District for providing lunches for over 50,000 youth this summer!
Commonly Asked Questions
Question: When will the 2024 Free Lunch + Play schedule be available?
Answer: The 2024 Free Lunch + Play schedule will be available online in April and in print in May 2024.
Question: Who do I contact to receive translated versions of the 2024 Summer Free For All Schedule?
Answer: The 2024 Free Lunch + Play schedule will be available online in April and in print in May. To be added to our distribution list for 2024, please email email@example.com… and include what languages you are interested in and if you'd like a printed version or digital version.
Question: How do I get a job with the Summer Free For All Free Lunch + Play program next summer?
Answer: Summer employment opportunities will be posted on February 26, 2024 on the Portland Parks & Recreation jobs page.