Most Downtown Facilities Open to Public on June 1
Most downtown City facilities reopen to the public on Wednesday, June 1, 2022. While the 1900 Building remains closed to the public until July 18, 2022, other downtown buildings will now be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding federal holidays).
People who are exhibiting symptoms of any illness should stay home and notify staff if an appointment reschedule is needed. Visit the City of Portland's COVID-19 webpage for the most up to date news and alerts related to the City's response to the pandemic.
311 Customer Service Desk
The Customer Service Desk at the Portland Building will be open to the public from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (excluding federal holidays). Staff from the City’s 311 customer service program will be available to assist community members with City information, programs and services.
Community members can also contact 311 by phone at 311 or (503) 823-4000 or by email at email@example.com with any questions about how to access City services. Staff are fluent in English, Spanish, Romanian and Tagalog, and have resources to assist community members in other languages.
City Hall, The Portland Building and Other Facilities
City Hall, the Portland Building and other downtown buildings will be open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., (excluding federal holidays).
Check in-person customer service hours for the bureau you plan to visit, as bureaus have discretion in setting hours of operation.
Although City Hall is opening to the public, offices and bureaus in City Hall will decide how many days per week they will be open to the public during this new phase. Meetings with City Council offices will continue to be held by appointment only for the foreseeable future.
Public re-entry to the 1900 Building, which houses the Bureau of Development Services and the Portland Housing Bureau among other services, will resume on Monday, July 18. Limited in-person building permit services will be held mostly by-appointment and will resume at the Development Services Center, at 1900 SW Fourth Ave., starting the week of July 18. Most construction-related permits can be applied for online, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A free online Lunch and Learn session will be held on Thursday, June 2, from noon to 1 p.m. at which community members may learn more about in-person services at the Development Services Center and ask questions of staff.
Know Before You Go
- Masks are encouraged but not required.
- All visitors are required to check in at the front desk or with security.
- Check in-person customer service hours for the bureau you plan to visit, as bureaus have discretion in setting hours of operation. Although City Hall is opening to the public, offices and bureaus in City Hall will decide how many days per week they will be open to the public during this new phase. Meetings with City Council offices will continue to be held by appointment only for the foreseeable future.
How to Contact Us
Bureau of Development Services
- Schedule permit-related inspections through the IVR system, call 503-823-7000, and press 1.
- Schedule a building permit intake appointment.
- Land Use Review, Final Plan, Early Assistance, and other Land Use Services applications can be emailed to LandUseIntake@portlandoregon.gov.
- For other questions about services available contact BDS by email BDS@portlandoregon.gov or call 503-823-7300.
Sewer/Stormwater/Water Customer Service (Environmental Services and Water bureaus)
- 24-hour automated line: 503-823-7770
- Press 1 to make a payment.
- Press 2 to restore service if your water was disconnected for nonpayment. See more information below.
- Press 3 for after-hour water emergencies.
- Email: PWBCustomerService@portlandoregon.gov
- Make a payment online
- Water emergencies: 503-823-4874 (24-hour Emergency Dispatch Hotline)
- Questions about water quality:
- Water Quality Line: 503-823-7525 (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Interpretation available.)
- Email: WBWaterLine@portlandoregon.gov
Bureau of Environmental Services
- General inquiry: 503-823-7740
- Report a sewage release (24-hour Emergency Dispatch Hotline): 503-823-1700
- More specific contact info for construction projects may be found on our Construction Projects page
Bureau Human Resources
- (503) 823-4034
Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 503-823-7700
- Web: www.portland.gov/bps
- Social media: @PortlandBPS on Facebook and Twitter
- Questions or concerns regarding collection of garbage, recycling and compost: Leave a message on the waste info hotline, 503-823-7202, or send an email to email@example.com
Office of Community & Civic Life
- Liquor Licensing Program: 503-823-4520 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The voicemail and inbox will be checked regularly by staff working remotely.
- Noise Program: Submit noise variance applications here and noise complaints here
- Cannabis Program: email@example.com
Portland Bureau of Transportation
For emergency road hazards call 24/7 maintenance dispatch at 503-823-1700.
For general PBOT questions, please call 503-823-5185 or email PBOTFrontDesk@portlandoregon.gov.
Information subject to change. For up to date information, visit PBOT’s main page at portland.gov/transportation.
Portland Fire & Rescue
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Permit-related inspections: schedule online or via phone at 503-823-1199
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R)
- The PP&R Customer Service Center is available by phone at 503-823-2525 or by email at email@example.com.
Portland Police Bureau
- Emergencies: 9-1-1
- Non-Emergencies: (503) 823-3333
- File an Online report
- General questions: visit us online or call Central precinct desk: 503-823-0097
Portland Housing Bureau and the Rental Services Office
- To contact us or to submit a form, please use a remote method: email, phone, fax, or post mail. See the contacts below for additional guidance.
- General assistance
- N/NE Preference Policy Applicants
- Rental Services Helpdesk (technical assistance)
- For additional contacts: PHB Program Directory