The Digital Divide Response Project helps Portlanders overcome barriers to getting online. The program is funded by the American Rescue Plan, which is investing in Portland’s recovery – and our future.
In 2021, Portland City Council committed $3.5 million of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding to continue to address the critical need to get devices into the hands of residents disproportionately affected by the COVID pandemic and who face barriers to getting online.
In 2022, The City of Portland Office for Community Technology engaged ASCETA, LLC., a woman-owned, woman-led facilitator, to ensure the ARPA Digital Divide Response Project design is community-led.
Through this engagement process, when asked what would most help bridge the digital divide for priority populations, community members indicated access to computing devices was still a high priority need, along with warranties, software, and accessories, and digital skills training and digital services navigation support.
As a result, this initiative uses ARPA funds to support the distribution of computing devices and digital accessories, digital skills training, and digital navigation services for our community’s most marginalized members (those with intersectionality of known barriers to digital adoption) and aims to build capacity in trusted community-based organizations to deliver these resources.
For more information on the ASCETA engagement process and recommendations, view:
December 1: Application opens
December 2 – December 19: Information Sessions. OCT staff host information sessions and virtual office hours with interested applicants
December 19 at 11:59 p.m.: Application deadline
December 20-21: Applications reviewed for baseline eligibility
January 9-13: Eligible applications reviewed by Selection Committee
January 20: Applications selected to receive award announced
January 24 – March 15: Successful applicants enter into grant agreements
April 1: Successful applicants begin implementing their projects
Want to learn more about this opportunity? Join us at an information session to hear a brief overview of the opportunity and ask questions:
- December 2, 12-1 p.m.
- December 6, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- December 9, 12-1 p.m.
- December 12, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
- December 14, 12-1 p.m.
- December 19, 4:30-5:30 p.m.
Unable to attend a session? Contact us directly at email@example.com for more information.
Applicants can apply for resource awards up to $250,000. Applicant organizations can request:
- Up to $100,000 for devices
- Up to $25,000 for device accessories
- Up to $125,000 for digital skills training and digital navigation support services
How to apply
OCT is accepting applications through an online Google Form.
If submitting an online Google Form application poses an undue hardship on your organization, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss other options.
Completed applications must be submitted no later than 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 19, 2022.
The application requires a Budget Table. Access and complete the Budget Table Template prior to completing the application form.
View the complete application instructions:
View a sample grant agreement document:
Applicant eligibility requirements:
To be considered, applicant organizations must meet all of the following minimum requirements:
- Applicant is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations in good standing with the IRS. Unincorporated groups or programs may utilize an eligible 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization as a fiscal sponsor.
- Applicant serves people who live, work, worship, or access social services in Portland and are predominantly BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color), people with disabilities, immigrant and refugee, LGBTQIA+, house insecure, foster or youth with special needs , domestic abuse survivors, people impacted by incarceration, with a focus on those living at the intersection of these identities.
- Applicant commits to meeting project reporting requirements and project completion by June 30, 2024.
- Application is complete and is signed by a duly authorized representative of the Applicant organization.