This page contains information on the City of Portland’s disclosure-based regulations of lobbyists, City officials, and political consultants. Below is a list of resources accessible from this page, including submitted reports and filing portals.
Note: For resources related to City elections, click here.
Lobbyist and Political Consultant Filing Portals
- Lobbying Reports (2014 to the present)
- Political Consultant Reports (third quarter of 2018 to the present)
How to Register as a City Lobbying Entity
If you are a lobbying entity who spends at least eight hours lobbying OR spends at least $1,000 lobbying during a calendar quarter, you are required to register as a lobbyist with the City. Follow these simple steps below to learn how to register:
- Create a Portland Online account.
- Once logged in, access the online filing portal to register your lobbying entity, add lobbyists, and file quarterly reports.
- Look for a registration confirmation email in your inbox.
Lobbying Program Training Manuals
List of Registered Lobbyists
List of City Officials
The following individuals are subject to disclosures under the City's lobbying regulations:
- Elected officials
- At-will staff of elected officials
- City directors as defined in City Code
For specific definitions of the above individuals, see City Code 2.12.
The Auditor's Office maintains a list of City officials subject to the regulations. This list is accurate as of December 2020.
City Code 2.12.070 D. requires elected officials and certain City bureau directors to post their calendars of activities related to official City business. Calendars must be posted by the 15th day after the end of the calendar quarter for the previous calendar quarter.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Lobbying Statements, Gift & Calendar Reporting, and Elected Officials' Political Consulting Disclosure Deadlines:
|Quarter||Reporting Period||Last Day to File*||Last Day to Amend Filing*|
|1||January 1 to March 31||April 15||April 25|
|2||April 1 to June 30||July 15||July 25|
|3||July 1 to September 30||October 15||October 25|
|4||October 1 to December 31||January 15||January 25|
*If any of the above dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the deadline for filing falls on the next business day.
- Lobbying entities must register with the City within 3 business days of meeting the specified threshold (spending at least 8 hours lobbying OR spending at least $1,000 lobbying)
- Lobbying registrations expire at the end of each calendar year, and registrations must be renewed once the specified threshold is met in the new year.
- Political consultants must register with the City within 15 calendar days of providing political consulting services to any City elected official.
Code and Administrative Rules for the Programs
|Code and Rules||Lobbying Regulations|
|City Code 2.12 Regulation of Lobbying Entities||Establishes the City's lobbying regulation program, defines City Officials, defines lobbying activities, and provides the disclosure requirements for lobbyists and City Officials.|
|ARA 15.01 Lobbying Entity Registration and Reporting||Provides for additional guidance on lobbying registration and reporting requirements outlined in City Code 2.12.|
|ARA 15.02 City Official Reporting||Provides for additional guidance for the reporting of lobbying activities by City Officials as outlined in City Code 2.12.|
|ARA 15.03 Enforcement and Civil Penalties||Establishes up to $3,000 in civil penalties per violation of the lobbying regulations.|
|Code and Rules||Political Consultant Regulations|
|City Code 2.14 Reporting by Political Consultants||Establishes the City's political consultant disclosure program, requires elected officials to disclose when they are receiving services from political consultants, and requires political consultants to register with the City.|
|ADM 15.21 Political Consultant Interpretation||Further defines political consultants, covered clients, and services requiring disclosure.|
|ADM 15.20 Enforcement and Civil Penalties||Establishes up to $1,000 in civil penalties per violation of the political consultant regulations.|
Access frequently asked questions related to the City's lobbyist regulations. If you are unable to find an answer to your question, email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Our office generally responds within 1-2 business days.