Commissioner Hardesty is hiring a Community Justice Organizer to join her close-knit team at Portland City Hall. Applications are due by Friday, January 22nd by 5pm.
Posted Date: 1/8/2021
The Community Justice Organizer is a dynamic role that will engage and organize with Portland community members while serving as a policy liaison around some of Commissioner Hardesty’s City Council priorities, with an outsized focus on the issues of houselessness and housing.
- Engaging, mobilizing, and growing coalitions of supporters, community advocates, organizations, non-profits, faith institutions, business groups, neighborhood groups, and other key stakeholders in support of Commissioner Hardesty’s policy priorities.
- Developing comprehensive outreach plans to facilitate community education and input.
- Fostering a culture of transparency and collaboration in developing policy proposals with community members.
- Assisting office policy staff with community outreach.
- Accessing and evaluating opportunities and limitations that reflect our position as an elected office.
- Planning and executing office events, both online and eventually in person (including all technology related responsibilities for online events).
- Assisting the Communication Strategist as needed, including but not limited to: editing press releases and statements, writing and posting social media content, and more.
- Staffing Commissioner Hardesty in meetings on a variety of issues.
- Representing Commissioner Hardesty in community meetings.
- Serving as Commissioner Hardesty’s liaison to issues of houselessness, including but not limited to:
- Working with our Financial Policy Advisor in developing a participatory budgeting process for our houseless community.
- Supporting the emergency outdoor shelters known as C3PO.
- Expanding alternative shelter and transitional housing opportunities.
- Community outreach for the Portland Street Response pilot.
- Ensuring Enhanced Service Districts are inclusive and compassionate in their response to houselessness, including upcoming contracts with Clean & Safe and Rapid Response.
- Representing the Commissioner in meetings held by the Joint Office of Homeless Services & Home for Everyone.
- A strong and demonstrated commitment to social, economic, environmental, and racial justice.
- 2+ years of professional organizing experience, with a preference for local Oregon experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Good listening skills and attention to detail are a necessity.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with an ability to build consensus around contentious issues.
- Willingness to be flexible and adapt to sudden changes in priorities or direction.
- Willingness to represent the Commissioner’s priorities at all times when working.
- Ability to think strategically and respond to rapidly changing situations.
- Ability to work well with a close-knit team.
- Basic technology skills and willingness to learn new technology as needed, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Teams, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google Suite, and Zoom.
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel and transport materials as needed for City events, community events, and other community engagement opportunities.
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including evenings and weekends.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary range for this position is $62,400 - $67,538 annually and includes a full benefits package.
Employees in the Commissioner’s office serve at the pleasure of the Commissioner in an “at will status.”
Please email your resume and cover letter to Commissioner Hardesty’s Chief of Staff Karly Edwards: Karly.Edwards@portlandoregon.gov
Job posting closes at 5pm on Friday, January 22nd.
Applicants may be contacted to schedule an interview before the deadline.