Rename SE 110th Dr to SE 111th Dr to align the street name with the SE 111th Ave and Foster Rd intersection
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) has an established capital improvement project (CIP) T01181 and is currently budgeted at $1.6 million. This project will replace the existing traffic signal with modern equipment. The existing signal needs replacement to ensure safe, reliable operations. This project will also add protected left-turn signals for people turning onto SE Foster Road, will provide protected left-turn signals for turning movements onto SE Foster Road, and will provide improved space for biking.
- PBOT desires to take advantage of economies of scale and already-planned traffic control to install new overhead-mounted street signs to improve wayfinding at this currently-signalized intersection in East Portland.
- The current intersection name of SE 110th Drive – SE 111th Avenue & Foster Road is both confusing and incorrect, given that the property at the southwest corner of the intersection is addressed as 11010 SE Foster Road. The current intersection name suggests that this property would instead be located on the southeast corner of the intersection, which is not the case. The property at the northeast corner of the intersection is addressed as 11125 SE Foster Road, which correctly aligns with SE 111th Avenue, which in turn consists of the north leg of this intersection. Therefore a more appropriate intersection name would be the SE 111th Avenue– SE 111th Drive & Foster Road intersection.
- The cost of this street renaming is estimated at less than $2,500 since new street signs have already been budgeted. Both the new street signs and this street renaming are fully-funded by PBOT project T01181.
- The current SE 110th Drive is approximately 890 centerline feet long and has two intersections, the northerly intersection being at SE Foster Road and the southerly intersection being at SE Brookside Drive. Both intersections’ street signs will be replaced by PBOT project T01181.
- The new SE 111th Drive street name improves wayfinding, changes no existing street addresses, does not introduce a new street name named after a person, nor eliminates an existing street name named after a person.
- The Lents Neighborhood Association, the Pleasant Valley Neighborhood Association and the Powellhurst-Gilbert Neighborhood Association have boundaries abutting this intersection and were notified of this street renaming on August 3, 2023.
- No property owners were notified of the street renaming because no addresses are proposed to change.
- Code Section 17.92.030 currently allows for the street suffixes of “Drive,” “Lane,” “Terrace” or “Way” to be used for winding or circuitous streets such as the current SE 110th Drive. “Court” is also currently allowed by Code Section 17.92.030 to be used, but in practice is currently used for noncircuitous streets parallel to east-west streets sharing the same underlying street name. “Drive” is the current street suffix in use and was therefore chosen to be retained with the proposed new “111th” underlying street name.
- Code Section 17.93.060 currently provides for five (5) year dual signage of old and new street names; however the U.S. Postal Service will not need to forward any mail since no addresses are being proposed to change. A one-year dual signage period better aligns with the planned capital project timeline.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- SE 110th Drive from SE Foster Road to SE Brookside Drive is renamed to SE 111th Drive effective October 16, 2023 or on the earliest practicable date thereafter.
- No address change will be made to the property addressed as 11010 SE Foster Road since the current name of abutting SE 110th Drive will be changed to SE 111th Drive.
- Per Finding No. 6 and Finding No. 8 of this Ordinance, Code Sections 17.93.010, 17.93.020, 17.93.030, 17.93.040 and 17.93.050 are waived.
- Per Finding No. 10 of this Ordinance, Code Section 17.93. 17.93.060 is waived, and PBOT is directed to maintain dual signage only through October 15, 2024 or the earliest practicable date thereafter to remove existing SE 110th Drive street signage.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Purpose of Proposed Legislation and Background Information
- Renames SE 110th Dr. to SE 111th Dr.
- Street renaming is being done in conjunction with traffic signal replacement and street sign replacement to Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) standards
Financial and Budgetary Impacts
- Street renaming is part of project T01181 – SE 111th & Foster intersection and signal improvements
- Total budget for T01181 project is $1.6 million
- The street renaming cost is de minimus, estimated at less than $2,500 in FY23-24 and fully funded by T01181
- No change to T01181 budget and no additional funding is requested
- This ordinance allows the project plans to be finalized with new street name signs to replace the current existing signs, which are confusing and are out of sequence with the property at the southwest corner of the intersection
- Street renamings in the public right-of-way require Council and may not be done administratively
Community Impacts and Community Involvement
- No property owners were notified since no current addresses proposed to change.
- Lents, Pleasant Valley and Powellhurst-Gilbert boundaries abut this intersection; neighborhood chairs notified of proposed street renaming
100% Renewable Goal
Budget Office Financial Impact Analysis
No fiscal impact.
772 Consent Agenda in September 13-14, 2023 Council Agenda
Passed to second reading
789 Consent Agenda in September 20-21, 2023 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Rene Gonzalez Yea
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Absent