*Accept grant from Oregon Department of Transportation for $1,882,112 and authorize Intergovernmental Agreement for sidewalks and crossing improvements on SE 174th Ave between SE Kelly St and SE Francis St
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- Portland Bureau of Transportation applied to Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) for a grant in the amount of $1,882,112.80 for installing sidewalks and crossing improvements on 7/28/2022; and
- Oregon Department of Transportation has notified the City of Portland that it will award a grant for the installing of sidewalks and crossing improvements on SE 174th Ave between SE Kelly and SE Francis to Portland Bureau of Transportation in the amount of $1,882,112.80;
- The SE 174th Ave project will address the lack of sidewalks and crossings along SE 174th, SE Kelly – Francis. Due to lack of sidewalks, students living a 5-minute walk from school are provided hazard busing service. SE 174th is a key connection for three schools in the Centennial School District: Powell Butte Elementary, Centennial Middle, and Centennial High.
- The purpose of the SRTS Infrastructure Program is to allow ODOT to distribute funds deposited into the Safe Routes to School (SRTS) fund in accordance with OAR 737-025. These funds are intended to build infrastructure projects that address the needs of students that walk and bicycle to school considering the unique perspectives and behavior of children. The fund receives $10 million state highway dollars annually increasing to $15 million annually this year.
- ODOT’s Safe Routes to School programs are focused on providing grants to make it safer for Oregon’s children to walk or bike to school, providing opportunity and encouragement
- The Bureau's level of confidence in the cost estimates for this project is low as project development is complete, yet survey and design have not begun.
- The project number for this ordinance is T01244. The grant number is TR000347.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- That the Commissioner-in-Charge is hereby authorized to accept on behalf of the City of Portland a grant from the Oregon Department of Transportation for the installing of sidewalks and crossing improvements on SE 174th Ave between SE Kelly and SE Francis in the amount of $1,882,112.80. Any increases in the Grant Amount must be approved by the City Council.
- The Commissioner-in-charge to execute an Intergovernmental Agreement in the amount of $1,882,112.80 in a form similar to the contract attached as Exhibit A.
- The Commissioner-in-charge is authorized to execute amendments, approved as to form by the City Attorney, to the scope of the services or the terms and conditions of this Agreement, provided the changes do not increase the City’s financial risk.
- The OMF Grants Office is authorized to perform all administrative matters in relation to the grant application, grant agreement or amendments, requests for reimbursement from the grantor, and to submit required online grant documents on the Commissioner-in-Charge’s behalf.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists because a delay would unnecessarily delay the City’s ability to perform the activities authorized by the grant; therefore, this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage by the Council.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Purpose of Proposed Legislation and Background Information
- Accept a grant in the amount of $1,882,112.80 from Oregon Department of Transportation, authorize Intergovernmental Agreement for sidewalks and crossing improvements on SE 174th Ave between SE Kelly and SE Francis.
- The SE 174th Ave project will address the lack of sidewalks and safe crossings along SE 174h Ave between SE Kelly and SE Francis.
- This project will benefit students and families at three schools within the Centennial School District – Powell Butte Elementary, Centennial Middle, and Centennial High.
Financial and Budgetary Impacts
- The total cost of the SE 174th Ave project is $2,352,641 (low confidence estimate).
- Costs for this project will be posted to PBOT Capital Project T01244, which is included in PBOT’s Requested FY 2023-24 Budget and five-year CIP forecast.
- The grant number for this will be TR000357.
- Local match in the amount of $470,528 will be provided by funds from a General Fund allocation to the Safe Routes to School program for ongoing infrastructure work in East Portland. The funds for improving Safe Routes to School were approved by Council as part of the Fall BMP process in November of 2021.
- No additional funding or staffing is requested with this Ordinance.
Community Impacts and Community Involvement
- PBOT collected letters of support for this grant from the Centennial School District, The Rosewood Initiative, and neighbor to the project, Lynchwood Christian Church.
- Through PBOT’s Fixing Our Streets Safe Routes to School engagement process, the lack of sidewalk and safe crossings on SE 174th were identified by parents and caregivers as a safety concern and barrier for families and students walking to Powell Butte Elementary, Centennial Middle and Centennial High.
Budget Office Financial Impact Analysis
This ordinance allows the Portland Bureau of Transportation to accept grand funds from the Oregon Department of Transportation in the amount of $1.9 million for sidewalk and crossing improvements on SE 174th Ave. Local match funds totaling $470,528 are required and will be drawn from PBOT's Safe Routes to School program. Total costs for the project are included in PBOT's FY 2023-24 Requested Budget and five-year CIP.
282 Consent Agenda in April 12, 2023 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Commissioner Rene Gonzalez Yea
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Absent
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea