Extend contract with PPC Solutions, Inc. to December 31, 2023 and increase not to exceed amount to $1,136,588 for Police Bureau vehicle storage facility security services (amend Contract 31001227)
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- PPC Solutions, Inc. currently provides 24/7 security services for the Portland Police Bureau’s Rivergate Vehicle Storage Facility managed by the Property Evidence Division (PED);
- The PED Rivergate Storage Facility houses vehicles suspected of being used criminal acts or are being held as evidence in active cases;
- The current contract expires on June 30, 2023 and has a not to exceed amount of $936,588;
- The City and PPC Solutions, Inc. wish to extend their current agreement for six months beginning July 1, 2023. This is the second amendment to the agreement since its inception in 2018; and
- Sufficient funding resides in on-going Police Bureau General Fund appropriation; the increase of dollars on this contract does not obligate the City to spend funds nor does it appropriate additional funding.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- That the Chief Procurement Officer is authorized to amend an agreement between the City and PPC Solutions, Inc.
- The Chief of Police and the Project Manager are authorized to execute amendments to the scope of services or the terms and conditions of the Agreement, provided the changes do not increase the amount of compensation or increase the City's financial risk.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Purpose of Proposed Legislation and Background Information
The Property Evidence Division (PED) is charged with maintaining the integrity and the chain of custody of all property and evidence submitted by Portland Police Officers, Portland State University Officers, Oregon Health Sciences University Officers, and in some cases, federal agents. PED stores the property of all persons arrested by the Portland Police Bureau (PPB), evidence seized by officers, and illegal items or miscellaneous property that comes into the possession of the previously listed law enforcement members.
Rivergate Vehicle Storage Facility (RVS) is located at 7027 NW St. Helen’s Rd. PED manages this facility and tracks all the vehicles that come into and leave the facility. Due to the nature of the items being stored at this facility, and their value, it is necessary to have security seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
This will be the second amendment to this agreement. The first amendment was executed in March of 2019; it added $760,588 in available funds to the contract’s value and extended the validity of the contract from January 2019 to June 2023.
Financial and Budgetary Impacts
The City and PPC Solutions desire to renew their existing contract for current level security services for RVS for six months, to December 31, 2023. If not renewed, the contract expires on June 30, 2023.
The additional amount required for the additional six months will increase amount available on the contract to $1,136,588, up from the previous amount of $936,588.
Ongoing General Fund appropriation for this purpose is included in the Police Bureau budget.
Community Impacts and Community Involvement
PED provides safe keeping for property of community members involved in criminal cases and enforces chain of custody protocol in order to ensure that court cases have the best possible chance of fair evidence process the community can trust.
100% Renewable Goal
155 Consent Agenda in February 22, 2023 Council Agenda
Passed to second reading
174 Consent Agenda in March 1, 2023 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Commissioner Rene Gonzalez Yea
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Absent
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea