*Pay settlement of Mark Melman’s property damage claims for the sum of $26,264 involving the Portland Bureau of Transportation
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- Mark Melman filed two property damage claims against the City for damages to his property resulting from a flooding incident involving the Portland Bureau of Transportation on January 14, 2021 and September 26, 2021.
- The claims have been investigated by Risk Management Services. The investigation indicates there is risk the City may be found liable. Therefore, in order to avoid the risk of an adverse jury award, we feel it is prudent to compromise the claims at this time.
- Risk Management Services recommends the claims be settled for the total sum of $26,264, with the amount of $21,264.00 still due, subject to the claimant providing the City with a release in a form to be approved by the City Attorney.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- The Mayor and the Auditor are hereby authorized to draw and deliver a check in the amount of $21,264 made payable to PLI Systems, Inc.
- Risk Management Services will execute a payment authorization in the amount set forth in sub-paragraph (A) above.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists in order to avoid undue and costly delay in settling these property damage claims; therefore, this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage by the Council.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Mary Hull Caballero
Budget Office Financial Impact Analysis
Total cost to the City to settle the claims is $26,264. The source of funding is the City’s Insurance and Claims Fund. All costs of the settlement are in the current fiscal year.
123 Consent Agenda in February 23-24, 2022 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Former Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty Yea
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea