*Pay settlement of Patrick Dundon bodily injury claim for the sum of $25,000 resulting from a motor vehicle collision involving Portland Fire & Rescue
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- Patrick Dundon, through attorney Ron Sayer, and the insurer Liberty Mutual have filed a claim against the City for injuries resulting from a motor vehicle collision involving Portland Fire & Rescue on February 22, 2020.
- The claim has been investigated by Risk Management Services. The investigation indicates there is risk the City may be found liable. Therefore, in order to avoid the risk of an adverse jury award, we feel it is prudent to compromise the claim at this time.
- Risk Management Services recommends the claim be compromised for the total sum of $25,000, subject to the claimant providing the City with a release in a form to be approved by the City Attorney.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- The Mayor and the Auditor are hereby authorized to draw and deliver a check in the amount of $15,000 made payable to The Gatti Law Firm in trust for Patrick Dundon and a second check in the amount of $10,000 made payable to Liberty Mutual.
- Risk Management Services will execute the payments authorizations in the amounts set forth in sub-paragraph (a) above.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists in order to avoid undue and costly delay in settling this bodily injury claim; therefore, this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage by the Council.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Mary Hull Caballero
Budget Office Financial Impact Analysis
Total cost to the City to settle the claim is $25,000. The source of funding is the City’s Insurance and Claims Fund. All costs of the settlement are in the current fiscal year.
97 Consent Agenda in February 16-17, 2022 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Former Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty Yea
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea