*Authorize a Letter of Agreement between the City, Portland Fire & Rescue, and the Portland Fire Fighters’ Association, International Association of Fire Fighters Local 43 to amend the Collective Bargaining Agreement to decrease the minimum participation commitment and allow the rehiring of separated employees
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- The City and PFFA are parties to a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) for the period of July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2023.
- Article 35.C in the CBA states that participation in the retire/rehire program in for a minimum of one year, and not more than three (3) years.
- The existing language requires a participating employee return to duty the day after retirement, with no break in service.
- The City has existing staffing needs at Portland Fire & Rescue that necessitate the quick hiring of trained persons to provide immediate service to the community, and the City and PFFA agree that decreasing the minimum participation commitment from one year to six months, and allowing the rehiring of employees who have already separated from service, will help address this need.
- The City and PFFA have an interest in entering into a Letter of Agreement to address these concerns.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- The Director of the Bureau of Human Resources is authorized to enter into a Letter of Agreement between the City and PFFA to address the interests stated in the findings in this Ordinance.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists because delay would unnecessarily delay the orderly implementation of the provisions of this Letter of Agreement; therefore, this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect after its passage by the Council.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Mary Hull Caballero
883 Consent Agenda in December 15-16, 2021 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Former Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty Yea
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea