*Create a new nonrepresented classification of Director of Police Education and Training, which is exempt from classified service, and establish a compensation range
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- In accordance with the policies established by the City Council and based on a classification and compensation review, the Bureau of Human Resources is creating a new Nonrepresented classification effective upon passage by Council.
- A critical element of this classification is exercising independent judgment in the formulation of policies that have citywide impact or importance.
- Accordingly, the Director of the Bureau of Human Resources recommends that employees hired into this classification on or after the effective date of this ordinance shall be excluded from the classified service, as provided by the City Charter and Human Resources Administrative Rules.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- The following classification is being created:
|Job Class||Compensation Range||Effective Date|
|Director of Police Education and Training|
$56.68 - $96.35
($117,894 - $200,408)
|Upon passage by Council|
- Employees hired into this classification shall be excluded from the classified service.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists in order in order that the classification and compensation action may occur without delay; therefore, this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage by the Council.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed as amended by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Mary Hull Caballero
Budget Office Financial Impact Analysis
There is no direct cost to create the new classification for the Director of Police and Education Training. The FY 21-22 Adopted Fall Supplemental Budget and FY 22-23 CAL Adjustment includes sufficient funding for this position based on the salary grade identified by the Bureau of Human Resources.
862 Consent Agenda in December 8, 2021 Council Agenda
Passed to second reading as amended
Passed to second reading December 15, 2021 at 9:30 a.m. as amended.
903 Regular Agenda in December 15-16, 2021 Council Agenda
Passed As Amended
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Former Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty Yea
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea