Amend Regulation of Lobbying Entities Code to update City director definition and replace gender-specific language (amend Code Section 2.12.020)
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- Portland City Charter Section 2-501 established the Auditor’s Office to ensure open and accountable City government. Charter Section 2-506 gives the Auditor administrative authority to establish rules necessary to carry out duties of the Auditor. The Auditor administers and enforces City Code Chapter 2.12.
- City Code Chapter 2.12 aims to preserve the integrity of the City’s decision-making processes by requiring lobbying entities to publicly disclose their efforts to influence City officials. Code Section 2.12.020 provides definitions for those regulations and defines which City employees qualify as City officials.
- This legislation will amend the City director definition to update the prior name of Portland Development Commission to its current name of Prosper Portland. The legislation will also add the director or individual in charge of the Division of Community Safety to the definition of City director to improve transparency.
- City Council passed Resolution No. 37175 in December 2015 to encourage all City bureaus to examine their policies and procedures and assess whether such documents should eliminate gender-specific language and replace with gender-neutral language.
- This legislation will replace gender-specific language in Code Section 2.12.020 with gender-neutral terms to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment and allow the Auditor’s Office to comply with Resolution No. 37175.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- Portland City Code Section 2.12.020 Definitions is amended as shown in Exhibit A.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Mary Hull Caballero
870 Consent Agenda in December 8, 2021 Council Agenda
Passed to second reading
899 Consent Agenda in December 15-16, 2021 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Former Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty Yea
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea