*Pay settlement of Dajah Beck bodily injury claim for the sum of $25,000 involving the Portland Police Bureau
The City of Portland ordains:
Section 1. The Council finds:
- Dajah Beck, through attorney Scott Aldworth, has filed a claim against the City for injuries suffered during an encounter with Portland Police officers on Monday, September 28, 2020.
- The claim has been investigated by Risk Management Services. The investigation indicates there is risk the City may be found liable. Therefore, in order to avoid the risk of an adverse jury award, we feel it is prudent to compromise the claim at this time.
- Risk Management Services recommends the claim be compromised for the total sum of $25,000, subject to the claimant providing the City with a release in a form to be approved by the City Attorney.
NOW, THEREFORE, the Council directs:
- The Mayor and the Auditor are hereby authorized to draw and deliver a check in the amount of $25,000 made payable to Kell, Alterman & Runstein Client Trust Account.
- Risk Management Services will execute a payment authorization in the amount set forth in sub-paragraph (a) above.
Section 2. The Council declares that an emergency exists in order to avoid undue and costly delay in settling this bodily injury claim; therefore, this Ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage by the Council.
An ordinance when passed by the Council shall be signed by the Auditor. It shall be carefully filed and preserved in the custody of the Auditor (City Charter Chapter 2 Article 1 Section 2-122)
Passed by Council
Auditor of the City of Portland
Mary Hull Caballero
Budget Office Financial Impact Analysis
Total cost to the City to settle the claim is $25,000. The source of funding is the City’s Insurance and Claims Fund. All costs of the settlement are in the current fiscal year.
838 Consent Agenda in December 1, 2021 Council Agenda
- Commissioner Mingus Mapps Yea
- Commissioner Carmen Rubio Yea
- Commissioner Dan Ryan Yea
- Former Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty Yea
- Mayor Ted Wheeler Yea