Will depend on the type of engagement, but submission is immediate
Council Chambers in City Hall are closed for renovations. Space is available for community members to watch Council meetings and provide public testimony in the Lizzie Weeks Room in the Portland Building, 1120 SW Fifth Ave, Room 100, Portland, OR 97204. City Council will meet virtually until in-person meetings resume in mid-January 2024 in the City’s Development Services Building.
Contact a Member of Council
Provide feedback on policy or actions of the City of Portland or request a meeting with the mayor or a city commissioner.
Provide Testimony on an Agenda Item
City Council welcomes public testimony. Public testimony registration for agenda items opens when the Council Agenda is published by 9:00 a.m. on the Friday before the meeting. Council will hear public testimony during council meetings on the following agenda items:
- Emergency ordinances
- First readings of non-emergency ordinances (listed on the agenda as “ordinance” – if the ordinance states it is a second reading, testimony will not be heard)
- Agenda items appearing on the Consent Agenda are passed by a single unanimous vote without council discussion. To pull one of the above agenda item types from the Consent Agenda for discussion:
- Email your name and the agenda item number to email@example.com before the start of the meeting.
- The Council Clerk will add the agenda item number to the testimony registration form for you to sign up to provide testimony on the item. You must sign up in advance to provide testimony during the meeting.
- Join the meeting to explain why the item was pulled for discussion. You will have three minutes to testify unless otherwise stated at the meeting. The item will typically be heard following all other council business.
Identify which items will hear public testimony during a council meeting by viewing the current online agenda. The agenda will note all items that allow public testimony, and members of the public may sign up using the registration link located at the beginning of each meeting session. Testimony is not taken on communications, second readings of ordinances, proclamations, or presentations in accordance with City Code Subsection 3.02.040 F. and G.
How to register to testify on an agenda item:
Visit the Council Agenda webpage to sign up to provide testimony on a specific agenda item.
- Click the "Testimony Registration" link listed under the session date for the agenda item you would like to testify on.
- On the registration sign-up webform, choose the agenda item(s) you want to testify on, and enter the required information. Only those agenda items that allow testimony will be listed.
- For those providing testimony virtually, Zoom login information will be emailed at least one hour before the meeting. Space is available for in-person testimony at the Portland Building located at 1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Room 100, Portland, OR 97204.
- The testimony order for each agenda item is available in real-time on the Council Agenda webpage.
- Visit the 311 Customer Service Center on the first floor of the Portland Building at 1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Portland, OR 97204.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. except holidays.
- Visit the Auditor's Office on the first floor of City Hall at 1221 SW 4th Avenue, Room 130, Portland, OR 97204.
Hours: Tuesday - Thursday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. except holidays.
Register by phone
Call 311 to speak with a representative to register to testify over the phone.
Testifiers have three minutes to testify unless otherwise stated at the meeting. Those wishing to present a PowerPoint presentation or show images must send the material to the Council Clerk prior to the meeting at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Written testimony may be submitted by those unable to attend in person.
Sign up for a Communication
Members of the public may sign up in advance for a Communication spot on the agenda. Communications allow members of the public to address Council for three minutes about a topic of their choosing.
Communications are the first item heard at the Wednesday morning meeting and five spots are available. Individuals may sign up for a Communication once a month.
Communications should only be scheduled after the topic has been brought to the attention of the appropriate bureau or Commissioner. The Ombudsman's Office may also be helpful in resolving concerns.
How to sign up for a Communication
Complete the Communications request form.
- The available dates to sign up for a Communication will be provided on the form. Select your preferred dates and complete all required information.
- The Council Clerk will email you directly to confirm the date of your Communication.
- On the Monday before the meeting, you will receive an email with instructions on how to join the Council meeting to provide your Communication.
Request Interpretation or Accommodation
Request interpretation or an accommodation online or call 503-823-4000 (please make your request at least 5 days in advance of the meeting). Community members using interpretation services to address Council during a Communication or public testimony will be allotted additional time to speak.
Submit Written Testimony
Written testimony may be submitted for specific agenda items by visiting the Council agenda or by mail to: Council Clerk, 1221 SW 4th Avenue, Room 130, Portland, OR 97204.
Written testimony is not read out loud into the record during the meeting. Written testimony will be distributed to members of council and added to the public record if received before council votes unless otherwise stated during the meeting or on the agenda.
Tap the QR code to access the Council Agenda, sign up to testify, and view other helpful resources.