City Code Chapter
- Any person maintaining, conducting, operating or managing any tattooing establishment must comply with the following regulations:
- A. Premises and equipment must be maintained in a sanitary manner including physical cleanliness as well as antiseptic precautions;
- B. All establishments shall be equipped with hot and cold running water, and adequate toilet facilities properly installed in compliance with the Building Code as well as the health and sanitation regulations shall be provided;
- C. The premises and all equipment shall at all times be kept in a clean and sanitary condition.
- A. Sterilization of equipment may be either by:
- 1. Dry heat at a temperature of 320 degrees Fahrenheit (160 degrees Centigrade) for at least 1 hour and preferably 2 hours;
- 2. Steam pressure sterilization (autoclave), approved by the City Health Officer;
- 3. Needles must be thoroughly cleaned with soap and water after each use. To prepare for sterilization each needle shall be flushed with freshly distilled water and left distinctly moist, just before being placed in the sterilizer. The tubes containing the needles shall rest on their sides in the sterilizer to facilitate air removal and steam intake to each tube and needle. Under these conditions the exposure period is 30 minutes at 250 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by drying for not less than 15 minutes.
- B. All needles and other instruments shall be kept in a closed glass case while not in use.
8.52.030 Skin Preparation.
- A. Antiseptic techniques must be used. Each operator is required to scrub his hands thoroughly before beginning operations on the customer’s skin. The skin area to be tattooed shall be thoroughly cleaned with liquid green soap or detergent and water.
- B. Only dyes containing an antiseptic may be used. Dyes shall be kept in individual containers.
- C. After tattooing, a sterile dressing shall be applied to the tattooed area.
- D. Tattooing shall not be performed on any person with any skin lesions or any communicable diseases.
8.52.040 General Supplies.
- All establishments shall be provided with clean, laundered cloth or fresh paper towels in sufficient quantities. A clean towel must be used on each customer. Unused towels must be kept in a closed, dustproof container. All operators shall wear clean, washable garments. Operating tables preferably will be constructed of metal with a white enamel or porcelain finish or stainless steel.
8.52.050 Tattooing Minors - Infections - Medical Tests.
- It is unlawful to tattoo any person under the age of 21 years.
- All infections resulting from the practice of tattooing shall be reported to the City Health Officer by the person owning or operating the tattooing establishment. Any person engaged in the practice of tattooing shall submit to an annual chest X‑ray and serological blood test for syphilis.