A. “Booking Agent” means any Person that provides a means through which a Host may offer a Short-Term Rental for transient lodging occupancy. This service is usually, though not necessarily, provided through an online platform and generally allows a Host to advertise the Short-Term Rental through a website provided by the Booking Agent’s hosting platform and provides a means for potential users to arrange transient lodging occupancy and payment, whether the transient pays rent directly to the Host or to the Booking Agent. Booking Agents include, but are not limited to:
1. Online travel booking sites which are involved in the process of listing and booking Short-Term Rental transient lodging occupancies and handle any aspect of the resulting financial transaction; or
2. Online travel booking sites for Short-Term Rental transient lodging occupancy where advertisements of Short-Term Rental transient lodging occupancy rentals are displayed; or
3. A hosting or other online site that provides a means through which an Operator, Host or agent may offer a Short-Term Rental unit for transient lodging occupancy; or
4. Any Person who lists commercial Hotel rooms or long-term rentals for transient lodging occupancy; or
5. Any Person who directly or indirectly accepts, receives or facilitates payment, whether or not they are the ultimate recipient of the payment, including through Application Programming Interfaces (APIs) or other computerized devices where third-party providers receive information about a transaction and collect funds for the transient lodging occupancy from a Transient; or
6. Any Transient Lodging Provider, Transient Lodging Intermediary or Transient Lodging Tax Collector as defined in ORS 320.300.
B. “Division” means the Revenue Division of the City of Portland Bureau of Revenue and Financial Services, along with its employees and agents;
C. “Division Director” and “Director” mean the Director of the Revenue Division of the City of Portland Bureau of Revenue and Financial Services, or designee;
D. “District” means the Portland Tourism Improvement District as described in this Chapter;
E. “Notice” means a written document mailed by the Division by first class mail to the last known address of a hotel as provided to the Division in the latest application or return on file at the Division; or, if mailed to a hotel who is not a licensee, then to the last known address of the hotel as provided to the Portland Water Bureau or, if that Bureau has no address record, as provided to the Revenue Division in the latest business license tax return on file at the Division or, if none, then to such address as may be determined following reasonable investigation;
F. “Hotel” means any structure, or any portion of any structure which is used, occupied, intended or designed for transient occupancy for 30 days or less for dwelling, lodging, or sleeping purposes, and includes, but is not limited to, any hotel, inn, tourist home or house, motel, studio hotel, boutique hotel, lodging house, rooming house, apartment house, single family house or any portion of such house, duplex, condominium, bed and breakfast facility, vacation home, multi-dwelling structure, accessory dwelling unit, trailer home, houseboat, public or private dormitory, hostel, fraternity, sorority, public or private club, corporate housing or executive housing space or facility and also means space in a mobile home or trailer park or portion thereof so occupied, provided such occupancy is for less than a 31‑day period. All Hotels must comply with all local codes applicable to their location and use, including but not limited to zoning and building codes.
G. “Engaged in hotel management activities” means:
1. Being financially responsible for a water service provided to a Hotel or Short-Term Rental; or
2. Being financially responsible for operation of a Hotel or Short-Term Rental business; or
3. Being responsible for initiating or maintaining Short-Term Rental listing information on an online travel booking site; or
4. Being financially responsible for the indicia of management of a Hotel or Short-Term Rental, in cases not covered by Subsection 1. or 2. Indicia of management of property include, in order of importance, but need not be limited to:
a. Being responsible for waste disposal service provided to a Hotel or Short-Term Rental;
b. Being responsible for providing fire insurance for a Hotel or Short-Term Rental;
c. Being responsible for repair and maintenance of a Hotel or Short-Term Rental;
d. Being responsible for operation of heating, ventilating, and air conditioning equipment that serves a Hotel or Short-Term Rental; and
e. Being responsible for the operation and maintenance of fire prevention and suppression equipment that serves a Hotel or Short-Term Rental.
H. "City Council" means the City Council of the City of Portland, Oregon.
I. "Rent" means the full consideration charged to the Transient for the right to occupy a Room in a Hotel or Short-Term Rental for the occupancy of guest rooms only, valued in money, goods, gift cards, labor, credits, property or other consideration of valued, without any deduction. Rent is considered to be the total amount represented to the Transient as the consideration charged for the occupancy including any accommodation fees, customer fees, booking fees, service fees, off-platform booking fees, non-refundable fees, commissions or similar amounts paid to or withheld by a Person that facilitates the reservation of a Room.
J. “Management Corporation” means an incorporated nonprofit organization that is responsible for the promotion of Portland on a year-round basis; manages tourism-related economic development plans, programs, and projects; and represents tourism-related businesses.
K. “Person” means any individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, limited liability company, association, club, trust estate, corporation (for profit or not-for-profit), or any other entity or combination of entities capable of engaging in Hotel management activities within the District.
L. “Licensee” means a person licensed to engage in hotel management activities within the District under this Chapter.
M. “Room” means each portion of a Hotel or Short-Term Rental which may be rented or is intended to be rented to a separate transient lodger or lodging party, other than rooms containing no sleeping accommodations and intended to be used for purposes other than sleeping and living accommodations such as, meetings, recreation, education, business or other purposes. In rooms with multiple beds where each bed may be rented or is intended to be rented to a separate transient lodger, such as bunk and dormitory style rooms, each bed is counted as a room under this definition. This definition is included for purposes of determining if a hotel is included in the District.
N. “Short-Term Rental” means a house, duplex, multi-plex, apartment, condominium, bed & breakfast, accessory dwelling unit, tiny house, houseboat, trailer or other residential dwelling where a person rents a full house or guest bedroom(s) for transient lodging occupancy. A Short-Term Rental is generally, but not always, zoned residential and has a residential building occupancy. Certain residential building occupancy may allow Transient Lodging Occupancy by right or by permit.
O. “Short-Term Rental Host” means the owner, agent or person who resides at a Short-Term Rental or has been designated by the owner, agent or resident of the Short-Term Rental and who rents out the Short-Term Rental for transient lodging occupancy either directly or by using a Booking Agent or Transient Lodging Intermediary.
P. “Tourism and Hospitality Recovery Surcharge” means the one percent surcharge rate established to further enhance the promotion of overnight tourism and improve the hospitality business environment during the economic recovery period following the COVID-19 global pandemic.