(Amended by Ordinance No. 159276, effective January 24, 1987.) The Noise Control Officer shall be designated by the Commissioner In Charge. The Commissioner may also designate persons to be deputy noise control officers, and the Noise Control Officer and the deputies shall be special police officers of the City and shall have authority to issue citations for the violations of this Title and to this extent shall exercise full police power and authority.
(Amended by Ordinance Nos. 159276 and 184101, effective October 8, 2010.) The Noise Review Board is hereby established, consisting of five members, each appointed by the Mayor, and approved by the Council. Among the members there shall be, one professional in acoustics, one representative of the construction industry, and three citizens at large. Appointments shall be for a 3-year term. Noise Review Board members may serve no more than two complete 3-year terms, unless authorized by the Director. Members shall serve without remuneration. The Board shall elect its own chairperson at its first meeting of each fiscal year, and shall determine its own schedule of meetings. The Noise Control Officer shall serve as a nonvoting member of the Board. All decisions made by the Noise Review Board shall be by simple majority vote of a quorum.
(Amended by Ordinance No. 159276, effective January 24, 1987.)
A. The responsibilities of the Noise Control Officer shall include:
1. Investigating citizen complaints of violations of this Title, making all necessary inspections and observations upon reasonable cause, with presentation of proper credentials, and enforcing the provisions of this Title.
2. Promulgating rules and procedures to be used in the measurement of sound.
3. Conducting or participating in studies, research and monitoring relating to sound and noise, including joint cooperative investigation with public or private agencies; and the application for, and acceptance of, grants and contracts, with the approval of the City Council.
4. Advising, consulting and cooperating with any public or private agency, including City bureaus, to implement the provisions of this Title.
5. The supplying of such technical assistance as the Board shall direct or require.
6. The reviewing of all applications for variances and the rendering of decisions within the time specified, according to Section 18.14.
B. The responsibilities of the Noise Review Board shall include:
1. Instituting a public education program regarding sound and noise, including the collection, publication and dissemination of appropriate literature and information, and the enlisting of cooperation by public, civic, scientific, and educational groups.
2. The reviewing of applications for variances, and the rendering of decision within the time specified, according to Section 18.14.
3. Evaluating the effectiveness of this Title, and the developing of recommendations for amendments, additions, or deletions to this Title.
4. Developing long‑term objectives for achieving reduction of sound levels in the community, and developing a means for implementing these objectives into the long‑range planning process.
5. The developing of rules relative to the conduct of its meetings and to other matters the Board considers appropriate to noise control.
(Amended by Ordinance Nos. 159276 and 165594, effective July 8, 1992.)
A. The authority of the Noise Control Officer shall include:
1. The issuance of citations for violation of this Title and City Code Section 16.20.120 A.
2. Acting on variances, according to procedures specified in Chapter 18.14 of this Title.
3. Requiring the cooperation of the owner or operator of any noise source in the reasonable operation, manipulation or shutdown of various equipment or operations as needed to ascertain the source of sound and measure its emission.
B. The authority of the Noise Review Board shall include:
1. Acting on variances according to the procedures specified in Chapter 18.14 of this Title.
2. Holding hearings to obtain information relative to its responsibilities.
3. Recommending amendments, additions, or deletions to this Title.