Southwest Community Activities Fund
The Office of Community and Civic Life (Civic Life) supports neighborhood associations and other community organizations through the Southwest Community Activities Fund (CAF). Eligible volunteer-run organizations in the Southwest neighborhood district are invited to apply for reimbursement of community-building and civic engagement activities. A total of $10,000 is available. Each organization may apply for reimbursement of up to $700.
Applications will be accepted September 1, 2022, through May 31, 2023, or until funds are fully allocated, whichever comes first. This is a reimbursement program for expenses incurred between June 1, 2022, and May 31, 2023. Apply to receive approval of planned expenses. After the approved expenses are incurred, submit invoice, receipts, and a short narrative to receive reimbursement.
Contact Civic Life to request language translation.
Who is eligible?
This program is available to neighborhood associations and other volunteer-run community organizations in Southwest that serve Southwest Portlanders. Organizations with paid staff and organizations that charge dues or fees are not eligible. Enter an address at PortlandMaps.com to view neighborhood and district information.
How does it work?
Submit a Funding Request Form (Download Fillable PDF here) to Civic Life. Turnaround time is approximately one-week. If approved, organizations must be set up as a City of Portland Vendor to receive payments. Civic Life staff will assist organizations with that set up.
Funding will be allocated on a “first-come, first served” basis. The amount of funding available will decrease as applications are approved. Apply as soon as you know details of planned activities.
What can the funds be used for?
The spirit of this funding is to support community-building and civic engagement activities. The funds may be used for activities that have a public benefit. Some examples of what funds can be used for:
- Meetings and workshops - Zoom account, rental space, interpretation, translation, childcare, food, masks, COVID cleaning, adjustments needed for social distancing
- Project, event, and activities - supplies and materials, rental space, speakers, performers, presenters
- Communications – printing, signs, banner, website hosting, Email, hybrid meeting technology
- Operations – filing fees, productivity tools
Contact Civic Life with questions about eligible expenses. Changes in approved activities must be communicated to Civic Life and approved before funds are spent.
What can’t the funds be used for?
Some examples of what funds cannot be used for:
- Private events or activities
- Direct services, grants, scholarships, or loans that benefit specific individuals
- Projects that are solely or primarily capital improvements
- Donations or sponsorship to another organization
- Expenditures that violate City policies or ordinances
Payments will be paid approximately 30 days from receipt of the following items.
- Reimbursement Request Invoice. A template will be provided.
- A short narrative of 150 - 250 words, describing the project’s impact, with photo(s). Elaborate how this funding allowed your organization to assist the community.