COVID-19 Freeze for Multnomah County

The four-week (minimum) freeze is in effect through December 16th.

Organizing Community Safety Celebrations

Did you know that one-third of people living in this country don’t know their neighbors? Let’s change that. When neighbors know one another, they can look out for each other, share resources, and become lifelong friends.

There are many ways to organize social gatherings for your neighborhood and community. You can coordinate a block party or participate in Night Out for Safety and Liberation (NOSL), an alternative to National Night Out (NNO). Our Community Safety team is here to help you build safe, inclusive, and connected communities!

What was National Night Out in Portland?

Every year, more than 20,000 people in Portland gathered with their neighbors and many Community Safety partners over food, games, and music. The Community Safety Program coordinated National Night Out and registered all events in Portland.

NNO Frequently Asked Questions

Has NNO programming been impacted by COVID-19? Yes. In response to COVID-19, official NNO programming will not be happening. However, we support the different ways Portlanders want to promote safety and well-being for their community. When it is safe to do so, we encourage you to organize your own community safety event. Let us know if our Community Safety team can support your community or neighborhood's alternative to National Night Out!

When Multnomah County enters Phase 2, the Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) will accept and process block party permits. You can find out more here.

What is the official date of NNO and NOSL? In the past, this event has always taken place on the first Tuesday in August.  However, in response to COVID-19, official NNO programming will not be happening and the one NOSL event in Portland will be announced in 2021.

Are there any forms that need to be submitted for hosting a party on my block? If you are closing your street for your party, you must complete a Street Closure Application with the Portland Bureau of Transportation. For questions and help completing the Block Party Application forms, contact PBOT 503-823-4003 or pbotblockparty@portlandoregon.gov.

If you're hosting a party in the park, you must comply with Portland Parks & Recreation rules and regulations and complete the limited use permit application. For questions about registering a party in the parks call 503-823-2525.

For any questions please call us 503-823-4064.