information
COVID-19 Recovery and Resilience

Access City programs, people and projects designed to help Portland recover. Portland United
Volunteer. Play. Stay. Shop. Show the Rose City a little love. Be Here for Portland.

West Portland Town Center CAG Meeting #2

Approve collaboration principles, discuss and finalize project goals, provide input on Metro housing bond investment priorities in SW Corridor and discuss capacity building opportunities.

All welcome! Opportunity for public comment and materials available online.

Located in the cafeteria.

Agenda

6:30 – Introductions, updates/announcements, meeting summary – 15 min

6:40 – Collaboration principles and group member topic facilitation – 20 min

7:00 – CAG survey results and project goals – 40 min

7:40 – Portland Housing Bureau - Metro Affordable Housing Bond – 30 min

8:15 – Public comments – 10 min

8:25 – Next steps, reminders and closing – 5 min

Materials

Printed materials provided at meeting  

May CAG Meeting Summary

CAG survey results

Notes

Group members present

  • Javier Moncada
  • Terri Preeg-Riggsby
  • Beth Omansky
  • Chris Smith
  • Saalim Ahmed Saalim
  • Katherine Christensen
  • Ramsay Weit
  • Dacia Grayber
  • Tony Hansen (Crestwood alternate)
  • New members
    • Adrenalina Corrales
    • Brandon Brezic

Group members absent

  • Marianne Fitzgerald
  • Chris Chiacchierini
  • Pam Phan

Staff present

  • Joan Frederiksen
  • Ryan Curren

Partner staff

  • Libby Winter (TriMet)
  • Jeb Doran (TriMet)
  • Seemab Hussaini (UniteOregon)
  • Jennifer Chang (Portland Housing Bureau)
  • Karl Dinkelspiel (Portland Housing Bureau)

Introductions, Announcements, May 6 meeting minutes review

Announcements/reminders

  • August 5th meeting at Girl Scouts building, north of BTC. Location details will be sent out with next CAG Digest email. It was noted that is the Monday before national night out.
  • FHCO educations opportunity;
    • 3-4 trainings over the next 2 to 4 months.
    • NAs will be invited to participate and co-host one of the trainings but want to invite the CAG to participate in the first one, along with general public.
    • Took a poll on availability for July 25th, 6-9 pm. It was noted that July 17th, could be backup.
  • Reminded them that BPS’ land use and zoning 101 training is available upon request.
  • Pedalpalooza event June 25, 6:30 pm – meet at Barbur Transit Center: What to last mile bike connections to transit station to prioritize to ease bike access
  • June 15 community walks;
    • Yes, survey questions can be sent out for people to do on their own. Connect with staff and we can send physical copy or link to survey tool.

Meeting minutes for May 6, 2019. There were no edits or concerns raised. We will finalize and post
online.

Collaboration principles and group member topic facilitation

Staff noted that the collaboration principles were intended to lay out the roles and responsibilities for
the group members and staff, including a project technical advisory committee (TAC). Staff noted that
there was one addition since the last version shared at the May CAG meeting. The addition on page 2,
and shown in track changes/underline, was to articulate an optional opportunity for CAG members to on
occasion co-facilitate or lead a topic specific discussion. Group members were invited to comment or
make requests for modifications to the principles. No changes were requested.

Following this a brief discussion included the following questions:

Is there a plan to bring the CAG and TAC together for meetings?

Staff: At this time we have not planned on any joint TAC/CAG meetings. We are happy to invite
TAC members or other experts to attend the CAG meeting to provide specific technical
information. And open to discussing other opportunities for learning or joint meetings.

Who is on the TAC and what is their role?

Staff: The TAC is comprised of City service bureau/technical staff such as the Bureau of
Transportation, Prosper, Bureau of Environmental Services, water Bureau, Fire Bureau, and
Bureau of Housing and other partners such as TriMet, Metro, ODOT and the Multnomah County
Health Department. (We will post the TAC roster online and share that link.) The TAC meets
every two months and responds to technical questions and provides information on what other
intersecting work or issues their bureaus are working on, so we can ask informed questions, and
find opportunities to collaborate and coordinate.

What is in the new City budget that can affect the work on anti-displacement and community
development? Can we get a briefing on post July 1 budget items?

Staff: We will provide information on the 2019-20 budget items that may have relevance to or
affect this project.


A request was made that we please each say our names as we start to speak to help participant identify
who is talking.

A request was made that staff alert CAG members in advance of meeting as to what materials would be
printed out to reduce duplicative printing.

Staff then moved the conversation to discuss the opportunity for CAG members to co-facilitate/lead a
future meeting on the following three topics and asked members to volunteer as part of pairs or larger
groups. The following notes the three topics and the initial timeframe for when the topic could be
covered. Names in parenthesis note those who during the meeting initially volunteered to cofacilitate/
lead these topic discussions.

  • Priorities for an Equitable Community Development Framework – AUGUST 2019 (Saalim, Pam, Dacia)
  • Public benefits & land use regulations for a Plan District – OCTOBER 2019 (Rachael, Ramsay, Terri, Brandon)
  • Barbur Transit Center redevelopment concept plan – DECEMBER 2019 (Tony/Marianne, Katherine)

CAG survey results and discussion of project goals

Staff showed and went through CAG survey results. The survey asked for CAG members to project what
some quotes describing the process might be a year from now and in 2035. It also asked CAG to rank a
set of issues (or suggest others) related to creating a great place and a strong community, as well as to
rank the draft project goals and provide comments or suggestions for changes. There were 11
respondents, though 2 of these elected not to rank issues or goals because they wanted to learn more
before they provided this input. (See CAG meeting discussion slides.)

Staff asked the group for their thoughts, refinements or questions related to the survey and the draft
project goals. One participant stated that it will be important to have metrics accompany the goals in
order to strengthen them.

The group then broke out into three small groups to discuss the following questions in relation to the
draft project goals:

  • How should these goals manifest in a land use plan?
  • How should these goals manifest in an equitable community development framework?
  • How can these be strengthened to reflect racial equity goals?

The following transcribes the chart pack notes from each of the three small groups discussions:

Orange marker group (Terri, Javier, Ramsay, Chris S.)

  1. small business = cultural strength, minority-owned, women-owned
  2. community capacity building to take advantage of programs/opportunities/educational/training
  3. build wealth by learning about development & access to design professionals
  4. increase choices for homes – doesn’t need to be “new”
Zoning opportunities/Residential Infill Project (ADUs/4-plex, etc.)
  • Multi-use land use (ex. Multnomah Village)
  • Combine incentives and mixed-use zoning
  • CM1 - 1 story building
  • CM2+ - 2+ story building
Local workforce development for People of color (POC)
  • engagement
  • PCC and SW Equitable Development Strategy OHSU as example
  • 20% POC Housing goals
Equity lens/buckets
  • Matrix to gauge measurables/deliverables
Pedestrian routes/main street corridor
  • is there a hub?
  • where is the foot traffic? Walkshed? Can we expand the walkshed?

Green marker group (Saalim, Rachael, Lina, Tony, Jennifer)

Ways to strengthen the goals:

  1. Measure them!
    1. Short-medium-long term
  2. Data break down by race, income, etc.
  3. Culturally-specific design
    1. New housing, more types & amounts
    2. Market will provide high-end
  4. Street-level businesses you can walk to
    1. Business space meets needs for all business types
    2. Multi-cultural goods and services
  5. Density for new people comes with infrastructure and amenities
    1. Physical and social infrastructure
  6. Good design and variety of housing
    1. Creative uses and shared space
  7. Community connection? Social cohesion (define)
    1. Places to gather (parks, plazas, markets)
    2. Shared community space in residential
    3. Shared workspace (working from home)
    4. Creative spaces (arts, crafts, etc.)

Blue marker group (Katherine, Beth, Brandon, Dacia)

  • Define equity in context of WPTC
  • Racial equity’s intersection w/other inequities (age, disability, gender)
    • Quantify, qualify
  • Land banking, right of return, preference policy
  • Identify people at risk of economic displacement - quantified
    • Ask about wants and needs in housing
  • What/how to zone publicly owned land (transit center) & private land
  • How to reach people affected by West Portland Town Center
    • TriMet riders, renters, cultural groups regarding zoning changes

Metro and Portland Housing Bureau Affordable Housing Bonds overview and update

Jennifer Chang and Karl Dinkelspiel from the Portland Housing Bureau (PHB) gave an overview
presentation on the status of both the Metro Housing Bond and Portland Housing Bond. (Presentation
available on project website under June 3 CAG meeting).

Questions and comments came up during the presentation. One asked for clarification on the
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with TriMet and what it says about Metro housing bond monies
being spent in the SW Corridor. What does it have to do with the housing targets in the SW Corridor
Equitable Housing Strategy?

Staff: MOU is about TriMet relationship with City and other agencies. They will help us
achieve minimum affordable housing new construction targets in EHS and the stretch
targets if there are new funds to build housing. Now we have the Metro housing bond so
we can achieve some of those stretch targets.

The Portland housing bond will be spent citywide and is expected to create 1300 units. There are
already several projects (with about 470 homes) in the pipeline or built that are a result of that funding.
PHB would like to see a project from this funding in SW because there are no planned housing projects
in the area yet – and it is a high opportunity area with potential light rail investments on the horizon. To
this end SW is one of the three priority areas listed (NE and East are the other two) in the current bond
offer of funds PHB released May 2019.

In response to a question, it was noted that the recent state constitution change means PHB does not
have to own the buildings and can partner with nonprofits like CPAH and others to provide housing. It
also means PHB can leverage the bond funds with other sources in effort to build or preserve more
homes.

Now there is also a regional Metro affordable housing bond. Portland is slated to get a share ($211
million) of available funds, estimated to produce 1,475 homes.

  • 737 family size is 2 bedrooms or larger
  • 605 for very low income

Homeownership is an allowable use for Metro funds. 10% of funds can be used for higher income units
(up to 80% AMI)

A Local Implementation Strategy (LIS) is being created now and Metro and the City of Portland would
like to hear from community about any changes or important issues related to the use of funds. Public
comment is welcome through June 21. Then the plan to finalize the LIS in July/August then go to
Portland City Council in September for a briefing. The Metro Oversight Committee will review the LIS in
Oct/Nov 2019. Then PHB will enter into an inter-governmental agreement (IGA) with Metro in 2020 to
receive assigned share of housing bond funds.

Questions for the group

  • For Metro, should changes be made in the following areas:
    • Needed housing types for priority communities?; or;
    • Location strategies?
  • What actions should we take to increase housing opportunity for Communities of Color?
  • For Portland Bond funding, what other considerations should we take into account?

There was not time to discuss these questions. Staff will prepare a questionnaire/survey based on these
and send to CAG members in the coming weeks.

Public comments, next steps, reminders and closing

Staff thanked everyone for attending and participating. There were no attendees from the general
public.

Staff noted that a doodle poll would be sent out to identify the date of the planned Fair Housing of
Oregon workshop/conversations as well as survey with follow-up questions related to Housing Bureau
presentation.

Next meeting Aug 5 will be a Girl Scout building most likely. We will send location details.

Location