This fall, the River Plan / South Reach team convened several meetings to discuss key topics about the southern portion of the Willamette River, from the Ross Island Bridge to Dunthorpe. Lots of interested community members offered great insights and suggestions to City planners, and their input will inform future public discussions and help shape the development of the River Plan / South Reach draft plan.
Highlights from the first four Fall meetings
September 13: Riverside Recreation
- Improve trail access and enjoyment for all by increasing directional signage, providing benches and restrooms, establishing a speed limit for bicyclists and separating pedestrians from cyclists.
- Provide access from Brooklyn neighborhood to Springwater Corridor Trail and the river.
- Consider a scenic viewpoint between SE Haig and Rhone streets.
September 18: River and Riverbank Areas
- Expand the greenway setback to accommodate riverfront trails, vegetation and trees.
- Consider a willing-seller program to buy up flood-prone properties; use these properties for flood storage and habitat areas.
September 25: In-river Recreation
- Address impacts of wake boats on river recreation, floating homes and riverbank erosion; consider a no-wake zone, education, boat licensing endorsements and enforcement options.
- Consider a multipurpose dock at Oaks Amusement Park for transporting patrons to/from the park and as a public dock for nonmotorized water craft.
October 4: River and Riverbank Restoration
- Bring back the historic tidal flow-through area on the west side of Ross Island to reduce algal blooms.
- Restore Riverview Natural Area streams to provide cold-water habitat for salmon.
Upcoming meetings on the east and west sides
Two more community sessions will focus on the east and west sides of the South Reach. Staff will work with community members to integrate the issues and opportunities they identified and topics they did not discuss previously.
Thursday, October 25, 2018, 6 - 8 p.m.
Center for Equity and Inclusion, 5757 SW Macadam Avenue
TriMet #35, #36*, #43* and 99*
Thursday, November 8, 6 - 8 p.m.
SMILE Station, 8210 SE 13th Avenue
TriMet #99*, #35, #19
*These TriMet lines provide limited bus service. Check schedules.
Finally! Big open house
On December 1, project planners will host an open house to share a summary of the information and feedback gathered to date, present staff’s recommendations for plan development, and share a draft future concept illustration. Staff welcome public comments on all materials provided at the open house.
Saturday, December 1, 9 - 11:30 a.m.
Llewellyn Elementary School Cafeteria, 6301 SE 14th Avenue
TriMet #19, #70