- If you live in a house, townhouse, or duplex/triplex/four-plex, your garbage and recycling company is assigned to your neighborhood through a franchise system. Standard service includes weekly pickup of recycling and compost, and every-other-week garbage collection. Find your garbage company and your collection schedule.
- Homeowners need to contact the garbage company to set up or manage service. Find out more about service options and how to use your service.
- If you rent a house, the landlord is responsible for setting up and paying for service. Landlords, find information for garbage service.
- If you rent an apartment, condo or row house, your garbage service is set up by your property owner or manager. If you own a condo or row house, ask your Home Owners Association or property manager if they set up service or you do.
- Portland businesses can choose a garbage company from a list of permitted garbage, recycling and compost companies. Businesses can negotiate service level, frequency and cost; rates are not set by the City. Contracts are not required by the City. Find more information about setting up garbage and recycling for your business.