Allowed garbage items
- Plastic bags
- Plastic "air pillows," plastic-lined padded mailing envelopes, and Styrofoam.
- Plastic lids and screwcaps.
- Garden hoses, extension cords, snow tire chains and holiday lights
- Light bulbs (incandescent and LED bulbs, but not CFLs.)
- Coffee cups and lids.
- Take-out food containers and wrappers, and paper plates.
- Drink cups and straws, utensils (paper, plastic and “compostable” items).
- Frozen food packaging and microwave meal boxes and trays.
- Facial tissue and paper towels.
- Painted or stained wood and plywood.
Must be bagged
- Diapers, dog poop, cat litter, feminine hygiene products.
- Ashes, sawdust and packaging peanuts.
- Broken ceramics, glass, etc.
- Cooking oil, kitchen fats and grease must be sealed in a plastic bag or other container before placing in the garbage.
What's not allowed
- Computers, monitors, TVs. Look up drop-off locations or call 503-234-3000.
- Compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs), hazardous waste, and chemicals. Look up drop-off locations or call 503-234-3000.
Large or bulky items
Homeowners (houses and smallplexes only): Ask your garbage company if they can pick it up and what the cost is (extra fees may apply).
Renters and businesses: Talk to the landlord or property manager if you need to set out large items or extra garbage.