A Fix-It Fair workshop... at home!
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. You can also join the event live on Facebook.
About this workshop
Once and for all: Is this a hazelnut or a filbert? Yes. Filbert trees produce filberts or hazelnuts, two names for the same thing. This week we’re Fixin’ to Cook three incredible recipes featuring farm-fresh hazelnuts to take care of every meal of the day: easy granola, hearty winter salad and guest chef Katie Gourley’s sablé cookies.
- The hazelnut became Oregon's official State Nut in 1989.
- About 650 Oregon farm families grow hazelnuts on 29,000 acres.
- Hazelnut trees can produce until over 80 years of age.
- The hazelnut is unique in that it blooms and pollinates in the middle of winter. Wind carries the pollen from yellow catkins to a tiny red flower, where it stays dormant until June, when the nut begins to form.
- The nuts mature during the summer months, turning from green to shades of hazel nestled in a protective husk, and are harvested in late September or October after they have fallen to the ground.
Portland Farmers Market and Cook First PDX present Fixin’ to Cook Winter Vegetables, a cooking demonstration series highlighting winter vegetables root to leaf. Each demonstration will include recipes, techniques, and resources to make it easier to get more vegetables on the table.
Each session we’ll host a live Q&A and share information about the Double Up Food Bucks program—which provides a SNAP match at the farmers markets. New to the kitchen or a seasoned home cook, this series is for all curious eaters. Join us the following Tuesdays at 2 pm: Jan 12 and 26, Feb 9 and 23, Mar 2 and 16.
Have questions you want answered? Email them to email@example.com and we'll make sure they're covered!
More about Portland Farmers Market
Providing Portland residents a year-round direct connection to more than 200 vendors with deep roots in Oregon and Southwest Washington, including farms, bakeries, meat and seafood providers, cheese makers and specialty and hot food artisans.
Presented as part of Fix-It Fair… at home!
Find more resources from partners like this one!
Join us live on Facebook.
This free event is brought to you by Fix-It Fair at home with gracious support from our sponsors: Energy Trust of Oregon, Pacific Power, Portland Bureau of Transportation, and Portland Water Bureau.
Please contact us for translation or interpretation, or for accommodations for people with disabilities. More information | Más información | Thêm thông tin | 欲了解更多信 | Дополнительная информация | Mai multe informații | Подробиці | Macluumaad dheeri ah | अधिक सूचना | Tichikin Poraus | firstname.lastname@example.org | 503-823-4309 (TTY: 503-823-6868, Relay: 711)