Storm damage recovery

Review of ezones in Southwest Portland underway

Residents in SW are invited to talk with City planners about the Environmental Overlay Zone Map Correction Project at drop-in hours in April.

The Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability is in the process of correcting ezone maps around the city. Ezones are a tool to help protect natural resources, such as trees, streams, steep slopes and wildlife habitat in Portland.

The Environmental Overlay Zone Map Correction Project team is now reviewing the ezones in SW Portland. Property owners and other interested community members are invited to talk with City Planners about changes to the ezones maps during drop-in hours at Capitol Hill Library, 10723 SW Capitol Highway:

  • April 24, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
  • April 30, 4-6 p.m.

Staff will have online maps for you to look at and can talk about how the project may affect your property.

What is the Ezone Map Correction Project?

The Environmental Overlay Zone Map Correction Project will correct the boundaries of the conservation (c), protection (p), and Pleasant Valley (v) zones to match the locations of streams, wetlands, floodplains, forests, steep slopes and wildlife habitat. Project staff started work in areas near Johnson Creek, then expanded to the northeast neighborhoods. This spring the project is focused on the Northwest and Southwest Hills. Work on ezones in the Columbia Slough and Columbia River will begin this summer. 

How will this affect you?

We expect the environmental overlay zones will only change slightly on most properties. But some properties may have expanded ezones; others may have smaller ones.

Find your property on a map

You can use the Ezone Review Map to look up your property. This map will tell you what kinds of environmental protections apply now and what are proposed to change. You can also request a site visit through the Ezone Review Map, and staff will come to your property to review the data.

How do I use the Ezone Review Map?

For more information

Visit the website:


Call: 503-823-4225