City Council unanimously voted to change the Renewable Fuel Standard (Title 16.60) in December 2022. The amendments increase the required percentage of renewable fuels blended with petroleum diesel, based on the following schedule:
|Fuel type by volume||Current||July 1, 2024||July 1, 2026||July 1, 2030|
|Renewable fuel requirement (min)||5%||15%||50%||99%|
The requirement only applies to diesel sales in Portland, not diesel use.
Per the ordinance, a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) will be formed on or before July 31, 2023. The TAC’s role is to “advise the Bureau Director on implementation of [Chapter 16.60 - Motor Vehicle Fuels] and use of interim rule authority to manage any technical or economic issues associated with renewable fuel supply."
Stakeholders can expect implementation activities to follow this general timeline:
Quarter 1, 2023
- Draft administrative rules.
- Develop Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) recruitment process and governing documents.
Quarter 2, 2023
- Recruit the TAC. A link to the application will be posted to the project homepage when the recruitment opens.
Quarter 3, 2023
- Hold administrative rules hearings.
- Decide TAC membership.
Quarter 4, 2023
- First TAC meeting.
Administrative rules hearing dates and other project updates can be found on the project homepage as they become available. This list will continue to be used to communicate pertinent dates and information.
- View additional details about the ordinance and amendments.
- Sign up to receive email updates about the project.