Discover how to become a Certified Deconstruction Contractor
The City of Portland recognizes the Build Reuse training and curriculum for the purposes of becoming a Certified Deconstruction Contractor. The contractor must be licensed with the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB). At least one person employed by the company must be certified by completing the five steps below.
- Complete Build Reuse’s three-day Project Management Training Course taught by a trainer listed in the National Registry of Deconstruction Trainers. Dave Bennink is the trainer the City of Portland uses.
- Pass a skills assessment conducted by your trainer – this is a one hour assessment of your knowledge and skills in deconstruction. It is conducted at an actual job site where you can demonstrate proficiency in salvaging certain materials to maximize their value for reuse.
- Pass a written exam taken online through Build Reuse. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obtain lead-paint RRP certification.
- Obtain AHERA Asbestos Inspector (min) credential.
A Training Textbook is available for purchase through Build Reuse.