While the Climate Investment Plan (CIP) is in development, City Council directed PCEF to launch two strategic programs immediately based on timeliness, need, community impact, and greenhouse gas savings opportunity.
- Growing an equitable tree canopy to support the City’s 2035 tree canopy cover goals – $40 million over five years.
- Raising the bar on efficiency and renewable energy upgrades in new and redeveloped regulated affordable multifamily housing – $60 million over five years.
The Portland City Council requested that PCEF develop these two strategic programs when they evaluated and updated the PCEF program in October 2022. The two initial and fast-tracked programs were selected based on timeliness, need, community impact, and carbon savings and sequestration opportunity.
PCEF is pleased to present you with our first two strategic program drafts:
These drafts have been developed as part of our inaugural 5-year Climate Investment Plan (CIP). The public comment period ended March 10, 2023.
We asked reviewers to think about:
- If the proposed outcomes are aligned with PCEF’s program goals.
- If the drafts clearly explain how PCEF funding might be invested.
- How we could make the plans more equitable.
- What might be missing from the drafts.
Public comment was open from February 16 to March 10, 2023 with a virtual listening session on March 1. The date was extended due to the listening session being rescheduled during the inclement weather event.
What happens after the public comment period?
We reviewed all comments, identified key themes from the feedback, and identified opportunities to improve the program. We will share these findings and ask the Committee for an additional round of feedback before kicking off the programs.
How were these drafts developed?
These drafts were developed based on PCEF program implementation experience, one-on-one stakeholder consultations, key reports including “Growing a More Equitable Urban Forest”, and robust conversation from two roundtable groups that were held for each strategic program. Participants were subject matter experts including nonprofits reflecting and serving PCEF priority populations.
Read about our other funding priorities and structure of the Climate Investment Plan.