The Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability (BPS) is a leader in land use planning, climate action, environmental stewardship, and urban design. BPS centers racial equity in its work and is dedicated to creating a Portland that is more equitable, healthy, prosperous, and resilient.
The bureau oversees a world-renowned waste and recycling system and leads the U.S. in its commitment to open data and protecting communities in the application of technologies. Staff collaborate with partners on neighborhood, economic, historic, and environmental planning and provide research, policy and technical services to advance energy efficiency and renewable energy, as well as policies and actions to address climate change. The bureau also oversees the innovative Portland Clean Energy Community Benefits Fund.
What we do
BPS’s role is to:
- Advance the City of Portland’s commitment to climate action and equitable community development.
- Steward and improve urban design and land use regulations as well as develop new strategies to achieve City-adopted goals.
- Convene, lead, and contribute to multi-objective projects and plans with community and governmental partners.
- Manage Portland’s garbage, recycling, and compost collection system.
In collaboration with partners and the community, we create and champion big picture plans to set the city on a smart course for the future, including:
- Portland Plan
- 2035 Comprehensive Plan
- Climate Emergency Declaration
- Central City 2035 Plan
- Environmental and River plans
- Area and Neighborhood Plans
The Bureau of Planning and Sustainability is working to embed equity into all of our work. We use the definition of equity found in the Portland Plan:
Equity is when everyone has access to the opportunities necessary to satisfy their essential needs, advance their well-being and achieve their full potential. We have a shared fate as individuals within a community and communities within society. All communities need the ability to shape their own present and future.
Explore the tools we use to embed equity in everything we do: