Most City offices closed Wednesday, June 19, to observe Juneteenth

The City of Portland recognizes Juneteenth as a formal day of remembrance to honor Black American history and the end of slavery in the United States. Learn about Juneteenth.

Veterans' Preference Information

Under Oregon law ORS 408.225-408-238, veterans who meet minimum qualifications for a position may be eligible for employment preference.
On this page

You may be eligible for either 5 points as a Qualified Veteran (non-disabled) or 10 points as a Qualified Disabled Veteran, but not both.

A veteran is eligible to use the preference provided in ORS 408.230 for a civil service position for which application is made at any time after discharge or release from service in the Armed Forces. (ORS 408.235)

Qualifying veterans and disabled veterans may obtain preference by submitting as verification of eligibility a copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214 or 215) or a letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs indicating receipt of a non-service connected pension to their application. Disabled veterans must also submit a copy of their VA disability preference letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs, unless the information is included in the DD Form 214 or 215.

Learn how to request your military service records (including DD214)

5 point (Veteran)*

To receive 5 points you must have served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States (US):
1) For more than 90 consecutive days beginning on or before January 31, 1955; or
2) For a period of more than 178 consecutive days beginning after January 31, 1955; or
3) For 178 days or less because of a service-connected disability; or
4) For at least one day in a combat zone; or
5) Received a combat or campaign ribbon or an expeditionary medal for service in the Armed Forces.

To qualify under 1-5 above you must have been discharged or released under honorable conditions; or

6) Be receiving a non-service connected pension from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs

*To receive credit as a 5 Point Veteran you must attach to your application:
A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; or
A letter from the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs indicating you receive a non-service connected pension.


10 points (Disabled Veteran)**

To receive 10 points you must be:
1) A person whose discharge or release from active duty was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty; or
2) Entitled to disability compensation under laws administered by the US Dept. of Veterans Affairs; or
3) Awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in combat.

**To receive credit as a 10 point Disabled Veteran you must attach to your application:

A copy of your DD214/DD215 form; and
A copy of your disability preference letter from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.

For additional information on Veterans' Preference eligibility, including definition of the terms "veteran" and "disabled veteran," contact the Oregon Dept. of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.

Note: There is no limit on the number of times you can use veterans preference.

Veterans' Resources

Warriors to Work


O*NET Online-Military Crosswalk Search

Student Veterans of America

Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs

U.S. Department of Labor Veteran Resources

Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA)

Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

Requesting Military Service Records (Including DD214)