Managing stormwater on a business or industrial site, industrial stormwater discharge permits (NPDES 1200-Z permits), and source control plans

Environmental Services regulates stormwater management by businesses and industries within the city to protect local waterways and meet federal laws. On behalf of Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, we administer the state's industrial stormwater discharge permit. Find resources.
On this page

Some kinds of industrial practices can result in water pollution if materials or products come into contact with rain and runoff, which can then be carried to a local river or stream. Because of this, industrial property owners and businesses may be required by law to:

  • Hold a permit (a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Industrial Stormwater Discharge Permit No. 1200-Z).
  • Follow best management practices to prevent pollution of local rivers and streams from stormwater runoff from industrial activities.
  • Complete regular monitoring and reporting. 

Even if your business isn’t required to hold a permit, pollution prevention best management practices may be required. 

What is a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System 1200-Z General Industrial Stormwater Permit?

A National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Industrial Stormwater Discharge Permit No. 1200-Z (1200-Z permit) regulates stormwater discharges from industrial facilities that may reach Oregon waterways directly or through any conveyance system such as ditches or storm drains. A 1200-Z permit authorizes the permit holder to:

  • Construct, install, modify, or operate stormwater treatment or control facilities.
  • Discharge stormwater and non-stormwater discharges specifically authorized by the permit to surface waters of the state in conformance with all the requirements, limitations, and conditions set forth in the permit.

Permit Requirements

Permit requirements, in general, involve:

  • Development of a site-specific stormwater pollution control plan (SWPCP).
  • Compliance with narrative effluent limits.
  • Monthly inspections.
  • Monitoring and reporting data on stormwater discharges.
  • Mitigating any possible effects of discharges.

Who needs a 1200-Z permit?

Any industrial facility that meets the following conditions will require a permit.

  1. Discharge stormwater to surface waters or to conveyance systems that discharge to surface waters.
  2. Conduct industrial activities with the primary Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes identified in Table 1 of the 1200-Z permit. A list of applicable SIC codes and activities are included below, but applicants should refer to the permit for complete information.
  3. Those industrial activities and materials are exposed to rainfall or runoff. 
    Note: If your facility is categorized with an SIC code in Table 1, but it does not have industrial materials and activities exposed to rainfall or runoff, you must apply for No Exposure exemption from permitting.

Industrial activities by Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code, Table 1

SIC CodeDescription
10 Metal Mining
12 Coal Mining
13 Oil and Gas Extraction
20 Food and Kindred Products
21 Tobacco Products
22 Textile Mill Products
23 Apparel and Other Finished Products Made From Fabrics and Similar Material
24  Lumber and Wood Products, Except Furniture (Activities with SIC 2411 Logging that are defined in 40 CFR §122.27 as silvicultural point source discharges are covered by this permit.)
25 Furniture and Fixtures
26 Paper and Allied Products
27 Printing, Publishing and Allied Industries
28 Chemicals and Allied Products Manufacturing and Refining (excluding 2874: Phosphatic Fertilizers)
29 Petroleum Refining and Related Industries (excluding 2951, covered by 1200-A)
30 Rubber and Miscellaneous Plastics Products
31 Leather and Leather Products
32 Glass, Clay, Cement, Concrete and Gypsum Products (excluding 3273, covered by 1200-A)
33 Primary Metal Industries
34Fabricated Metal Products
35 Industrial and Commercial Machinery and Computer Equipment
36 Electronic and Other Electrical Equipment and Components, Except Computer Equipment
37Transportation Equipment
38 Measuring, Analyzing, and Controlling Instruments; Photographic, Medical and Optical Goods; Watches and Clocks
39 Miscellaneous Manufacturing Industries
4221 Farm Product Warehousing and Storage
4222 Refrigerated Warehousing and Storage
4225 General Warehousing and Storage
5015 Motor Vehicle Parts, Used
5093 Scrap and Waste Materials

Industries with the following SIC code that also have vehicle maintenance, equipment cleaning, or deicing activities (Table 1 continued)

SIC CodeDescription
40 Railroad Transportation 
41 Local and Suburban Transit and Interurban Highway Passenger Transportation 
42 Trucking and Courier Services, Except Air (excluding 4221, 4222, and 4225) 
43 United States Postal Service 
44 Water Transportation 
45 Transportation by Air 
5171Petroleum Bulk Stations and Terminals, except petroleum sold via retail method 

Additional industrial activities requiring a permit

  • Steam electric power generation including coal handling sites
  • Landfills, land application sites and open dumps
  • Hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities
  • Treatment works treating domestic sewage or any other sewage sludge or wastewater treatment device or system

Industries in the Columbia Slough Watershed or Portland Harbor 

NPDES regulations for the Columbia Slough and Portland Harbor watersheds include additional industrial activities that require permit coverage if exposed to rainfall or runoff with discharge to surface waters or to conveyance systems that discharge to surface waters. In addition to Table 1, industrial activities in Table 2 of the permit are applicable. 

  • Maintenance of vehicles, machinery, equipment, and trailers (including repairs, servicing, washing, testing, and painting)
  • Storage of vehicles, machinery, equipment (including disposal/refuse containers stored by a disposal/refuse contractor/vendor), and trailers (including rental, sales, wrecked vehicles, fleet, and general storage)
  • Materials storage (including raw materials; bulk fuels, chemicals, detergents, and plastic pellets; finished materials; lumber and food products; wholesale gravel, sand, and soil stockpiles; and bulk liquids other than water)
  • Waste handling (including recycled product storage, composting, tires, and bulk hazardous waste)
  • Commercial animal operations (such as kennels, race tracks, and veterinarians not covered under a Confined Animal Feeding Operation permit)
  • Fuel distribution and sales (including bulk stations, fuel oil dealers, manned and unmanned retail stations, fleet fueling, mobile fueling, and truck stops)
  • Any former activity that resulted in significant materials (as defined in Schedule D of the permit) remaining on-site. 

How do I determine if I need a 1200-Z permit?

If your business or industrial site includes any of the industrial activities described above, those activities are not completely sheltered from exposure to rain and runoff, and stormwater discharges from the site to surface waters or to conveyance systems that discharge to surface waters, complete an application for a 1200-Z permit. 

Apply for 1200-Z permit

If you are not sure whether your business or industry might require a permit, then complete the City’s Industrial and Commercial Environmental Survey. Based on your survey information, City of Portland staff can help you determine whether or not you should apply for a 1200-Z permit. 

Complete an environmental survey

What if I don’t need a 1200-Z permit?

How to apply for permit exemption

Facilities must apply for an exemption from the permit if they are categorized in Table 1 and there is no exposure of industrial activities or materials to stormwater. These facilities must submit a signed No Exposure Certification (NEC) for approval.

Request No Exposure Certification

Source Control Plans

Facilities that are not required to apply for a permit or No Exposure Certification may still be required to implement best management practices and develop a source control plan if the City determines the facility may have high potential to discharge pollutants to the City’s stormwater conveyance system. Contact the Industrial Stormwater team if you have questions.

One-time release of stormwater, construction dewatering, or batch discharge requests

Construction activities, one-time discharges of allowable non-stormwater, or similar activities are authorized by a different process. Find more information on batch discharge or dewatering authorization. 

What to expect after submitting a 1200-Z permit application

After submitting your application packet, the City’s Industrial Stormwater program staff will contact you with any questions. Staff may set up a time to inspect your facility. 

Once the City has reviewed your application packet and verified that it meets permit requirements, the application packet will be posted by DEQ to Your DEQ Online for a 30-day public comment period. Following this public comment period, DEQ will assign the facility coverage under the permit, and the City will issue a monitoring requirements letter. 

Once permit coverage is established, the City will inspect your facility each year to assess compliance with the permit. 

What is a 1200-A permit?

The 1200-A permit for the discharge of stormwater associated with sand and gravel mining activities (including concrete batch plants) expired in December 2017 and will not be issued until it is renewed by DEQ. If you currently have coverage under a 1200-A permit, your coverage has been administratively extended by DEQ and you should continue to maintain compliance with the permit.

If you are an existing 1200-A permittee, please use the form below for discharge monitoring reporting. 

The City’s Role

The federal Clean Water Act requires cities to set rules and regulations to protect the city's sewer and stormwater systems and its watersheds. Environmental Services works with Portland businesses and industries to meet those regulations and to protect our watersheds, infrastructure, city workers, and fish and wildlife from harmful pollutants.

The City’s Bureau of Environmental Services administers Portland’s Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System or MS4 permit. The bureau’s Industrial Stormwater Program ensures compliance for the permit’s Industrial and Commercial Facilities section by administering Oregon DEQ-issued industrial stormwater discharge permits through an agreement with DEQ and implementing legal code authority to ensure that facilities posing an elevated pollution risk to the City’s MS4 are properly controlled. Applicants and permittees for 1200-Z permits, No Exposure Certifications, and City Code source control plans work with City staff on application, monitoring, and other related activities. 

Rules and Regulations

Forms and Resources for Permittees

Permit and DEQ Guide

Discharge Monitoring Reports

The Discharge Monitoring Report must be completed and submitted each quarter. The report contains the results of monitoring activities and variance requests. 

Other Forms

This statement is required as part of your application packet. Its purpose is to help determine whether your permit will be consistent with the City of Portland’s comprehensive plan and land use regulations. 

Use the above form to request a name change or to transfer permit authorization to a new owner.

A Tier 1 Corrective Action Report is required if stormwater sampling results exceed any statewide benchmark or sector-specific benchmark identified in your monitoring requirements letter. Permit holders have 30 days to complete the report following receipt of analytical results. The above form can be used to complete the report. Retain the completed form onsite for review during City inspection.

Complete a notice of termination to request a termination of a 1200-Z or 1200-A permit. NOTE: Until receiving written notice from DEQ of approved termination, permit holders must continue to comply with all permit conditions.