Proposed 2020 SWMM
The proposed 2020 SWMM and changes to Title 17.38 are posted at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/2020SWMM along with several guides summarizing the changes.
The SWMM includes requirements for stormwater management and applies to development activities that construct or alter impervious area. It applies to some paving projects in the right-of-way and any parcel-based development on properties. The SWMM also includes protections for drainageways on private property. Title 17.38 is the section of City code that authorizes the SWMM, the City’s Maintenance Inspection Program, and its Source Control Manual. These stormwater requirements enable the City to comply with regulatory requirements and to protect both watershed resources and infrastructure investments.
Latest schedule information for Title 17.38 and the 2020 SWMM
- Wednesday, Oct. 7, 2020 – First council reading for Title 17.38
- Wednesday, Oct. 14, 2020 – Second council reading for Title 17.38
- Friday, Nov. 13, 2020 – Title 17.38 changes went into effect
- Monday, Dec. 14, 2020 – Most likely effective date
- The final outstanding item is development of the PAC. Updates will posted periodically as development of the PAC progresses.
When will the changes become effective?
From the effective date of the SWMM, there will be a three-month period where the 2016 SWMM can also be used. At the end of that three-month period, the 2020 Stormwater Management Manual must be met by all projects except for:
- City-initiated projects at or past 60% design.
- Public works permit projects with Concept Development plans accepted by the City for review.
- Building permits with an ‘in date’ no later than three-months after the SWMM effective date.
For more detailed vesting information see the Summary of Changes.