Formerly listed as yellow hawkweed, meadow hawkweed is on the Required Eradication List. All sightings should be reported. Learn more about how to report this plant.
At a Glance
- Scientific name: Hieracium pratense (H. cespitosum)
- Stems and leaves exude milky juice when broken.
- Stems are bristly and usually leafless, a small leaf sometimes appears near the midpoint.
- Stems can reach three feet tall and bear up to 30 half inch flower heads near the top.
- Yellow flowers appear from May to July depending on elevation.
- Oregon Department of Agriculture noxious weed rank: B
- Report patches of this plant? Yes. City code lists this as a Required Eradication species. Report all sightings to Portland’s Environmental Services (contact information on this page). Management of this plant is required, but free help is available.
- Oregon Department of Agriculture PDF weed profile for meadow hawkweed.