The map below illustrates the project area where sewer repair will take place, as well as pits and manholes will be installed.
The Water Bureau continues to relocate a water mainline on SE 3rd Avenue, south of SE Belmont Avenue until September 17.
Sewer construction will begin September 20 and is expected to last about five months.
Construction work hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, and Saturdays if needed.
We Want to Hear from You
Please let us know if you have a concern or question about future construction near you. Be sure to include your name, property address, and project name (SE 3rd Avenue) in your voicemail and email so we can provide you more details about what to expect in front of your property. Also, please write “SE 3rd Avenue” in the subject line of your email.
Sewer Emergency: In the event of a sewer backup or basement flooding, call the Maintenance hotline immediately at 503-823-1700. It is staffed all hours and all days, 24/7.
Due to the very soft soil conditions in the area, the contractor will be using the Jack and Bore method of sewer construction. Crews will dig a sending pit and a receiving pit to install the new sewer pipe. The jack and bore machine is placed in the sending pit and a hole is cut underground horizontally from the sending pit to the receiving pit, without disturbing the ground above. As the machine drills the hole, it also functions like a jack hammer to push a new sewer pipe in place.
When the new pipe is in place, the jack and bore machine is removed and the pipe is connected to the existing public sewer. At the end of each day the pits will either be covered with steel plates or fenced in. Once connected to the sewer line, the pits are backfilled temporarily with sand or gravel and temporary asphalt patches are applied. Quality control inspections are then conducted, and once passed, permanent pavement restoration of the patched pits are completed.
What to Expect
You can expect the following activities and impacts with this sewer repair project:
- Safe Work Site: Safety is our top priority for every construction site. You can help keep the area safe by staying clear of all construction activities and keeping children, pets, and vehicles out of construction areas.
- Noise, Vibration, and Dust: Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Traffic Delays: You should expect traffic delays in and near the work area. Please observe traffic control signs and follow the directions of flaggers. The contractor will maintain local access to all properties, but construction may impact normal use of your driveway or entrance to your business
- Parking Restrictions: On‐street parking will be restricted in and near the work zones to create a safe work environment and to stage equipment and materials.
- Equipment Storage: Some equipment and materials will be stored on your street or nearby streets overnight.
- Maintained Service: Sewer, water, and other utilities will remain in service during construction.
- Typical Work Hours: Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
Schedule Changes and Inactivity: Construction schedules can change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials. These same variables may cause periods of inactivity during construction phases.
Sign Up for Updates
Sign up for regular updates at SE 3rd Avenue Sewer Project.
Please Take the Business Survey
If you have a business within the project area, please complete this questionnaire so we can learn more about your business and what needs you may have during construction.