The map below illustrates where this project is proposing to replace the existing storm pipe. The alignment is adjacent to the old pipe due to tree roots.
Road Closure Overnight
Due to unsafe ground conditions, NE 13th Avenue will be closed north of NE Golf Court to NE South Shore Road to through traffic overnight on Wednesday, December 8. The closure will take place until at least 4:00 p.m., Thursday, December 9.
What to Expect During Construction
You can expect the following activities and impacts with this sewer project:
- Safe Work Site: Safety is our top priority for every construction site. You can help keep the area safe by staying clear of all construction activities and keeping children, pets, and vehicles out of construction areas.
- Noise, Vibration, and Dust: Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- Traffic Delays and Road Closures: You should expect traffic delays in and near the work area. Please observe traffic control signs and follow the directions of flaggers. The contractor will maintain local access to all properties, but construction may impact normal use of your driveway or entrance to your business
- Parking Restrictions: On‐street parking will be restricted in and near the work zones to create a safe work environment and to stage equipment and materials.
- Equipment Storage: Some equipment and materials will be stored on your street or nearby streets overnight.
- Maintained Service: Sewer, water, and other utilities will remain in service during construction.
- Typical Work Hours: Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Schedule Changes and Inactivity: Construction schedules can change due to a variety of factors, including conditions underground, weather, traffic impacts, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials. These same variables may cause periods of inactivity during construction phases.
We Want to Hear from You
We will be sending periodic project email updates on the project progress. Please call if you have concerns or questions regarding the project. Be sure to include your name, property address, and project name (NE 13th and South Shore) in your voicemail and email so we can provide you more details about what to expect near your property. Also, please write “NE 13th and South Shore” in the subject line of your email.
The Multnomah County Drainage District (MCDD) serves three drainage districts along the south shore of the Columbia River—Peninsula Drainage District #1 (PEN1), Peninsula Drainage District #2 (PEN2), and the Sandy Drainage Improvement Company (SDIC). The four districts collectively extend from the edge of Smith and Bybee Lakes on the west to the Sandy River on the east, and operate through intergovernmental agreements. For more information, please visit www.mcdd.org.
A pipe connecting a ditch located to the north of NE South Shore Road has been clogged for many years. This pipe drains to the NE 13th Avenue drainage system, which consists of roadway ditches and driveway culverts. The clogged pipe has resulted in private property flooding in the vicinity of the pipe. On behalf of PEN2, MCDD conducted temporary pumping into the drainage system between NE South Shore and Faloma roads beginning in the winter of 2015 through the spring of 2018.
MCDD and Environmental Services staff identified the blockage as a large tree root and broken pipe. The pipe is also undersized, and the elevated pipe entrance creates ponding conditions. MCDD and Environmental Services are now coordinating efforts to replace the pipe. The current location is not feasible due to the tree roots, which is why the proposed design is adjacent to the existing pipe.
Sign Up for Updates
Sign up for weekly updates at NE 13th and South Shore Rd Pipe Replacement Project.