Starting July 15, 2023, the CADD design software version used for Environmental Services projects is AutoCAD Civil 3D 2024. All styles and templates are updated to this version.
1. When starting a project, always download the most recent Environmental Services AutoCAD Drawing template and tools from this page.
2. Coordinates: All Environmental Services CAD drawings (including reference drawings) shall be drawn using the Oregon Coordinate Reference System (OCRS) Portland Zone, based on Lambert Conformal Conic projection (single parallel) North American Datum of 1983. Vertical datum shall be City of Portland Datum.
- Label “CITY OF PORTLAND DATUM AND OCRS PORTLAND ZONE” in the lower right corner of the cover sheet.
- Keep drawing coordinates to the Oregon Coordinate Reference System, Portland Zone, NAD83, International Feet.
- Provide survey cogo points in a separate text file.
3. All drawings (including reference drawings) shall be drawn with units as feet, not inches.
4. Attach all reference drawings as “overlays,” not “attachments.”
5. In addition to typical topographic features and utilities, the following must be included in each base map or GIS reference drawing:
- Building Outlines
- Street Addresses
- Parcel Lines
- Right-of-Way (ROW) Lines
- Curb Lines
6. Don't use any other fonts other than those provided in the most recent Environmental Services AutoCAD template and tools files.
7. Make sure you have the AutoCAD system variable PDFSHX=0 to avoid (upon plotting) creating comments from the text in the pdf.
Consultant-led CIP Designs Instructions
Contact the Environmental Services AutoCAD Coordinator to request the latest base map for your project. Contact information is on this page.
- Project name and number
- Project scope (MH to MH runs, MH IDs, street intersections, waterways, or any other easily identifiable asset) to define the map's extent.
- Scale at which the project's design will be shown on the C sheets.
- Due date for base map delivery (please give at least 1 week notice).
Copy your project manager and Environmental Services project manager in your correspondence to avoid duplicate requests.
When initialing title blocks on CAD plans, consultant staff apply initials to the Designed By, Drawn By, and Checked By areas. (See below)
Initials can be applied in the attributes of the Environmental Services title block. We suggest consultants to use the sheet set manager template provided on this page for automatic filling of those fields. The appropriate City staff will initial the other areas.
For Engineer of Record seals, the Engineer of Record will digitally sign each occurrence of their stamp. DocuSign has been adopted by the City of Portland for capturing digital signatures to comply with OSBEELS guidance on seals. In most cases the City will initiate the DocuSign routing process for plans.
Library of Tools and Templates
Download the newest tools and templates at the start of every project to make sure you are working with the latest standards.
AutoCAD Drawing Templates
- BES Design Template (Updated 06/15/2023)
- BES Outreach Template (Updated 06/15/2023)
- BES Pothole Plan Template (Updated 06/15/2023)
- BES QNEW (Updated 06/15/2023)
- Sample Cover Sheet Single (pdf)
- Sample Cover Sheet Double (pdf)
- Sample Plan – Profile (pdf)
- Sample Plan Storm Facility (pdf)
- Sample Plan Storm Facility Key Map (pdf)
- Sample Plan Stream (pdf)
- Sample Plan Prof Stream (pdf)
- Sample Erosion Stream (pdf)
- Sample Erosion Sewer (pdf)
- Sample Detail Sewer (pdf)
- Sample Detail Storm Facility (pdf)
- Sample Detail Stream (pdf)
These documents are also contained in the BES Design Template as table styles.
- BES Abbreviations (dwg)
- BES Legend (dwg)
- Construction and Design Notes (docx)
- Design Criteria and Assumptions (docx)
- Erosion Control Notes (docx)
- General Notes (docx)
The majority of the blocks are dynamic. They have visibility states, move and rotate parameters, etc. Please explore all the possibilities these blocks offer.
- Linetypes (lin) – Linetype library
- Multi-lines (min) – Multi-line styles for lines with offsets such as railroads
- Layers (las) – Load into Layer Manager to access BES layers
- Layer Filters (lft) – Load filters to help manage the layers. Filters include existing, proposed, and general conditions
- BES_HALF (ctb) – For plotting 11x17 inch format sheets
- BES_FULL (ctb) – For plotting 22x34 inch format sheets
- Draft Stamp(pss) – Plot stamp for 22x34 inch plans at all milestones except the final plot
- Plot Table (pdf) – Pen weight standards for BES work
Use the Sheet Set Manager (dst) when starting a new sheet set. Standard and custom properties in Sheet Set Manager push the information into the fields created in the BES title blocks.
Insert in paper space of drawing, at location 0,0. The title blocks contain fields to be managed by the Sheet Set Manager.
- Accepted Conventions – Preparing Project Plans
- BES CAD Checklist
- BES CAD Standards and Guidelines
- CADD Layer Naming Protocols
- Instructions: How to use the new sewer laterals table
- Instructions: How to Create a Maintenance Hole Detail
- Instructions: Preparing signing and striping plans
- Project Layout and North Arrow
- Standard: Project Naming Procedure (pdf)
Contains the Civil 3D 2024 pipe catalog with custom part sizes and materials. Downloadthe folder at a location of your choosing. Set the Pipe Network Catalog in AutoCAD to point at the location you specified.