COVID-19 Risk Level for Multnomah County: High Risk

Zoning Confirmation Letters and Land Use Compatibility Statements

Information about getting a signed land use compatibility statement from Development Services. Request a zoning confirmation letter (bank letter) and zoning analysis. Document a nonconforming situation. Request a floor area allowance (FAR) or density transfer.

On this page

We provide written zoning verification for state or federal agency applications. We also provide verification for refinancing and other situations as requested. You can also request a transfer of development rights. 

Land Use Compatibility Statements (LUCS) for State of Oregon applications 

Many state or federal agencies need these statements. Agencies include:

  • the Division of State Lands (DSL)
  • Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
  • US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Please review submission instructions on the Planning Services webpage. We'll return the signed application to you within two to three weeks of payment. 

Zoning Confirmation Letters- bank letters and zoning analysis 

Zoning confirmation letter requests fall into two categories: 

  • Bank Letters (Tier 2). These letters are often used by finance institutions for due diligence purposes. The response for these letters is generally within three to four weeks. States the current zoning with a brief description of:

    • allowed uses
    • previous land use actions
    • active violation cases
  • Zoning Analysis (Tier 3). The response for these letters is generally within six to eight weeks. Respond to zoning questions or include site/project-specific information about zoning regulations. 

Complete a zoning confirmation request form and use the instructions on the Planning Services page for both letters:

Transfers of Development Rights (Floor Area and Density Transfers)

The Portland Zoning Code allows property owners to transfer a part of the development potential from their property to other properties in some situations. This includes residential density allowances or building Floor Area allowances, called “FAR.” These are available in:

  • multi-dwelling
  • commercial/mixed-use zones
  • employment and industrial zones

We review applications for Density and FAR transfers through a Tier III Complex Zoning Analysis procedure. We provide property owners with a transfer covenant form to use. The form describes the property sending the development potential and the property receiving it. The form notes how much development potential will result at each property after the transfer. 

First, the form needs review and approval by Land Use Services and in some cases, the City Attorney’s Office. Then, the property owner(s) record the covenant form against the property titles of the properties sending and receiving the development rights.

You can request a covenant form by calling the Zoning Information Line and speaking to Land Use Services staff. You can also request the form with a building permit or land use review application. Complete a zoning confirmation request form and use the instructions on the Planning Services page to apply:

Who can request a transfer

Property owners can complete density and FAR transfers. But, it may be useful to get help from private legal counsel.

Documenting a Nonconforming Situation using standard evidence 

Sometimes zoning regulations change and use or development is no longer allowed at a site. When this happens, applicants can document rights using “standard evidence." 

 The response for these requests is generally within 6 to 8 weeks. Please email a completed application using the submittal instructions on the Planning Services page


Zoning Information Line

Development Services

phone number503-823-7526

Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm. Leave a message with a phone number, the project address, and your questions.